London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
9 messages
22/04/2012 at 18:01

Hi, was wondering if it is possible to cut back unruly leggy looking wallflowers and if so when is best time for this to be done

22/04/2012 at 18:20

Wait until they've finished flowering, then cut back to the last two or three pairs of green leaves on each stem - they should then produce new shoots from low down. A bit of a feed at the same time won't go amiss.

22/04/2012 at 18:21

These are really a short lived perennial usually treated as a biennial and ditched after one year' flowering and new plants raised each year from seed-they do end up rather straggly and woody if kept.

There is another pernniel  variey that you can take cuttings from that come in mauve or yellow-erysimum

22/04/2012 at 19:14

Hello bryf,

I've got a very tall woody one that I'm fond of as it was one of the first plants that I grew from seed last year. It is flowering now so when it finishes I'm going to follow Alina W advice & see what happens.

I do agree with tdc, they do become very straggly. The upside is that you can easily collect seeds & grow some more for next year.

I've also got the perennial types  & will be trying to take some cuttings off these as from what I have been told they take really easily

22/04/2012 at 20:51
I kept a blood red wallflower going for about 5 years by cutting it back as Alina suggests - but it eventually got too woody. If you've got the space to keep it, it's worth a go.
22/04/2012 at 22:03

Thanks very much for all the replies, I will try out all of the advice, ie cutting back as Alina suggests, but as mine are Erysimum I will also take cuttings and collect the seeds, all advice much appreciated, cheers 

24/07/2013 at 11:04

Will the Erysimum stand cutting back and come back next year ?

24/07/2013 at 12:53

Hiya lucky

Which Erysimum is it?  Bowles mauve will take a fairly drastic cut back.  Others can't take it.

Take cuttings now....they root quickly and will form good flowering plants next year

25/07/2013 at 07:14

email image
9 messages