London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
4 messages
08/11/2012 at 22:38

We moved in to our current house a year ago, and in the back garden is a beautiful Walnut Tree, but sadly it hasn't produced any walnuts.

Speaking to our neighbour he tells us that it used to produce masses of walnuts, which fell into his garden as well. According to him the previous owners of our house had the tree cut back a couple of years back, and it hasn't produced any walnuts since.

Can it be the case, that it has reacted badly to how it was cut, or is there something else that could be wrong? It appears to be a very healthy tree, and maybe in time walnuts will return, but if it merely needs a particular nutrient, I would be very pleased to hear anyones advice.

09/11/2012 at 05:22

the walnut trees close to where i live produced no walnuts this year last year there was a brilliant crop maybe the weather had a lot to do with it and they will produce next year fingers crossed

09/11/2012 at 07:13

You lucky thing - a walnut tree is a beautiful thing   We had several when I was a child.  Some varieties are self fertile, others need pollination from another walnut - even the self fertile ones fruit better if there's another walnut in the vicinity - we had  such a rotten spring, although they are wind pollinated, I'm sure that if the pollen is continually wet from rain it will not pollinate as well as in a dryer season.

I think I'm right in saying that they fruit on old wood formed in earlier seasons, so it may be that following pruning it's lost some of the fruiting wood and may take a few years to re-establish regular fruiting.  Also late frosts may damage the flowering buds.

Walnuts do need a bit of feeding - on the farm ours used to be mulched with farmyard manure - yours would probably do with a spring dressing of a balanced fertiliser (one with nitrogen and potash in it).  If you choose to mulch with manure don't pile it around the trunk as this can damage the bark and rot will set in.  It would be best if grass doesn't grow right up to the trunk; a small circle of clear soil around the trunk helps the tree to access moisture and nutrients better than if it is covered with grass.

And another thing, if you're in a rural area watch out for crows - they will take walnuts and leave the shells hanging on the trees- as children we were encouraged to play noisily near the orchard to discourage the crows -  it seems it's an international problem -more information here http://farmerfredrant.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/crow-in-walnut-tree.html and if you have squirrels around, they'll steal them too!

And when I was a child there was an old saying, "A woman, a dog and a walnut tree, the more you beat 'em, the better they be" !  As I can guarantee that at least two of those statements are totally incorrect, I have no faith in the veracity of the third but there's a theory here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3314692/Beat-them-as-hard-as-you-can.html. 

22/12/2012 at 07:15

New walnut trees dont tend to produce fruits for around 6 years, maybe its settling back in after being pruned. Like Dovefromabove says, some feeding may spur this process on. 

email image
4 messages