Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wasp nests.....

I've a huge wasp nest on the compost heap. It has 3 bays and when I lifted the plastic there it was....It's about the size of a large football possibly larger as there were hollow tunnels leading from it.

How can I dispose of it, it's very lively...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It will all be over soon, they won't last through winter. 

Last edited: 13 September 2016 20:20:32

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Not sure the council will help as it's on the allotment...

It could be a while before the cold kills them, what are the chances of them swarming, I read somewhere they can get aggressive this time of year and I don 't know if I'm allergic to them, my older brother is. ...

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

In that case, don't go anywhere near them. If they can't do it themselves the council will be able to advise you who can.

• Scroggin  is right get hold of the council, but if like here in Wales they will charge. Or stay well away like nutcutlet said they will die off soon.

How much do they charge in Wales!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Not sure if things run in the family but one of my brothers is allergic to their sting. To cut to the chase I might be a tad bit sensitive to bites, not necessarily wasps but I've had some extreme reactions.

I've e-mailed the allotment committee to ask their advise. The plot is close to the main gate and compost heap close to the track.

• I would ask for a pest control officer to dispose of it for you. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Cover yourself up well, and give it a good dosing with rentokil wasp powder, available off of eBay.. we had a nest next to the conservatory window, one good dosing at dusk finished them off. If you think you might be allergic get someone else to do it.