Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 21 replies

I've a huge wasp nest on the compost heap. It has 3 bays and when I lifted the plastic there it was....It's about the size of a large football possibly larger as there were hollow tunnels leading from it.

How can I dispose of it, it's very lively...

scroggin

I would call the Council, they will send out a pest control officer to dispose of it for you. I wouldn't try tackling it yourself Zoomer.

nutcutlet

It will all be over soon, they won't last through winter. 

Last edited: 13 September 2016 20:20:32

Not sure the council will help as it's on the allotment...

It could be a while before the cold kills them, what are the chances of them swarming, I read somewhere they can get aggressive this time of year and I don 't know if I'm allergic to them, my older brother is. ...

In that case, don't go anywhere near them. If they can't do it themselves the council will be able to advise you who can.

Advertisement

Scroggin  is right get hold of the council, but if like here in Wales they will charge. Or stay well away like nutcutlet said they will die off soon.

How much do they charge in Wales!

Hazel --

We had a wasps nest quite few years ago now, in a tightly packed, slow growing conifer. We got the council out to remove it and they charged £90 then. So cost will probably be more now. Better that though than getting stung.

Not sure if things run in the family but one of my brothers is allergic to their sting. To cut to the chase I might be a tad bit sensitive to bites, not necessarily wasps but I've had some extreme reactions.

I've e-mailed the allotment committee to ask their advise. The plot is close to the main gate and compost heap close to the track.

I would ask for a pest control officer to dispose of it for you. 

fidgetbones

Cover yourself up well, and give it a good dosing with rentokil wasp powder, available off of eBay.. we had a nest next to the conservatory window, one good dosing at dusk finished them off. If you think you might be allergic get someone else to do it. 

Dovefromabove

I would stay away from it.  Put a notice on the compost heap saying Wasp Nest - Stay Clear!  and leave it well alone.  

That's what the local garden centre did when a wasps' nest was found  in a bag of compost on the edge of the car park near the farm shop  - they put hazard tape around it too,  Everyone went about their business and left it alone and the wasps left everyone alone.  No one was bothered by it. 

And that's in an area that gets hundreds of visitors every day (including small children who attend a 'play-gym' on site). 

As Nutcutlet says, they'll all be dead soon and the queen will go off to hibernate.  

Our local council charge roughly £50 to deal with them.  As it's on an allotment, assuming it's a general compost heap not one for your own use only, I would expect the committee to sort it out.

Hortum-cretae

Nah, leave 'em be. They're good cleaners of all sorts of waste, vegetable and enimal matter. I'm allergic to the sting - swell up fast, but I'd still not kill a nest full.  Just fence it off to make people aware and dig the compost quietly out from the other side if you need it.

H-C  

If you can't leave it alone, and assuming the council can't help (most can't these days), try the British Pest Control Association (BCPA) website - they have a search facility that'll find someone close to you who will deal with it for you. We had to have one removed from a house in Cornwall two years ago. Done by a well known commercial company who charged £100 with a guarantee to come back and retreat if the first time didn't completely clear them. Took the chap about 10 minutes.

Advertisement

What I did was went at night with bit of petrol and a match 20 seconds all gone, that would depend what's it your compost heap you don't want it to burn as well

Dovefromabove

That's really dangerous advice 

Wasps eat aphids 

scroggin

Petrol and a match!! Bet the Fire Brigade love you Mac 12. As Dove says that is really bad advice.

The allotment committee got back to me, we have a guy on site who keeps bees, has all the protective gear, he's going to deal with it. Another plot holder has the same problem so he's going to deal with both.

I feel a nice bottle of wine winging it's way to him.

Thanks for your replies. I went to the plot earlier and the nest has settled down. 

Zoomer44 here in Wales to remove a nest was about £50.00,a few years back, not sure about today's cost,  I suffer from anaphylactic shock if I get stung by bees or wasps so if they are any around the house or garden I got to get rid of them, but even if they come into the house I still wouldn't kill one don't see the point .