London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
6 messages
19/08/2014 at 16:00

Hi guys,

I have got a rather sorry excuse for an apple tree, it was already in the garden when we bought the house last february so dont even know what type it is. I have been looking forward to picking the apples when ready as there were about 30 apples on it, small, but ok. Last year they all disappeared when on holiday and put it down to birds etc. This morning I went out in the garden to check on apples and they were full of wasps eating them, I have now got 5 apples left untouched. How do I stop the wasps from eating them? Probably too late for this season but need to get prepared for next year as so disappointed.

I want to grow a lot of fruit and veg this year and especially next year and really dont want all my hard work ruined by wasps helping themselves.

morph

19/08/2014 at 16:30
You can put paper bags around the uneaten ones. Do not use plastic bags.
20/08/2014 at 11:17

Will they still ripen? I did think of using a net but the wasps still get through.

20/08/2014 at 12:19

Pick them early, before they're ripe. It's the only safe way, and they will ripen over time.

20/08/2014 at 12:57
Depends on the variety. Some apples are ready August/September, some not mature until October/November.

If you pick them too early and keep them in a warmish place they will wrinkle before they ripen.
20/08/2014 at 13:35

We used to cut off the tops off water/pop bottles invert them back into the base of the bottle, put some holes in to take string . Then we would mix up a big spoonful of cheap jam and water, pour it into the bottom of the bottle (about 2 cm). Hag on tree like lanterns.

Collects the wasps(which can't escape), kids used to love making them, hanging them and looking at the results. 

It did work

email image
6 messages