London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
7 messages
17/07/2014 at 18:45

Wasps appear to be gaining access through a narrow gap just above doors to my decking.  I have tried to seal it off but they are still hanging around.  Don't like killing them, but does anything deter wasps?

17/07/2014 at 19:14

If you can access the site and the wasps  have only just appeared, you may be able to remove the beginning of their nest.  Once you have done that, plug the entrance....just to be sure, there may well be something you could spray in and around the entry point to deter further visitors

Other posters may well have better advice so hold hard before you do anything

17/07/2014 at 19:33

Unless you've got a beekeeper's suit I wouldn't fancy removing the nest - 100% chance of getting stung, I'd say.  They're determined little blighters too.  If you stop them getting access one way, they're pretty likely to find an alternative route if they've started nesting, and I've never heard of a spray or anything to deter them - though perhaps there's someone out there who knows better...  If you don't want them killed you might have to live with them until the winter, when the nest should be empty & you can remove it.

Good luck! 

17/07/2014 at 19:41

Note I said only to try this if the beginnings of a nest.....certainly not advocating going into a full blown one. 

18/07/2014 at 07:14

Thanks, guys, but unless I want to dismantle the whole fascia, impossible to get at the nest.  There seem to be only 2 or 3 of them about this morning, so maybe they are being deterred.  Will ask at local gardening shop.

18/07/2014 at 07:21

Are you sure they're wasps - lots of people are finding tree bees living in their roof space -  they're harmless and will die in the winter - the males 'dance in the air' outside the entrance to the nest. 

Info here  http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Bee_Craft_May_2013,_Bombus_hypnorum.pdf 

19/07/2014 at 06:28

Certainly not bumblebees, as the article shows, but bullet-like wasp bodies, yellow & black, and behaving like wasps, so I am pretty sure they are.  Local shop has traps, which I am reluctant to use, since presumably just goes on collecting them and waiting for them to die.  Was hoping there might be some smell that I could apply to deter them, but cannot find anything mentioned.

email image
7 messages