Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Water butts

My new house is coming along all my bulbs now in,thinking of next year I will need water butts as I am on a meter and do not waste water anyway ,does anyone know of a scheme that provides butts like they did with composters tried the local council and water board no luck I will buy them if needs be but pennies are few and far between thanks anyone that has any info Gill in Anglesey x

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Try e-bay,gumtree and you local free-cycle

You can put wants on freecycle and get alerts on gumtree if one comes up in your area.

That is all I can think of

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I couldn't find a low cost water butt supplier either. I did buy them and I now have 3 off the house, 1 off the greenhouse and an emergency dustbin supply incase the others run out. I got a cheap plastic dustbin, in the lid was a central stopper, popped it out, inverted the lid and it collected water aswell.

Metered water bills went down quite a bit

• BenDoverBenDover Posts: 488
    I installed a second water butt this year as I found one was not enough. Even this year with all the rain, I was using water butt for pots and containers, and topping up pond. I've just got water bill for first half the year - ??40 cheaper than over same period last year. Well chuffed. Water but has paid for itself in less than six months.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I have an old bin which collects water, like Bjay, the lid is inverted and it's surprising how quickly it fills up with rain water.

Now that we have the huge recycle bins you might try asking friends and family if they still have their old bins, I acquired three that way.

• Thanks everyone I didn't think of using old dustbins they are much easier to sorce
  • hi you could a ibc plastic tank ,they hold a1000lt of water,  jack

• Sue 7Sue 7 Posts: 1

You can hide your water butts behind a shed or dot them round the garden for ease of carrying water.... by attaching a hosepipe from the tap at the bottom of the water butt that collects from the roof to the "spares". I have 4 tucked behind a shed and have buried the hosepipe, just a shower of rain soon fills them all!

• I got my water butts from a farmer who was selling blue empty barrels and we adapted them and painted them green and fixed taps.Also found one in  a skip and also on a beach ( difficult to transport back to car so that was left),otherwise you pay the earth for the same thing.image

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Gill, if you have any dairy farmers local ask them if they have any of the large blue didinfectant tubbs they use, as they are non returnable, they should be glad for you to have them,some times for a few pounds, sometimes free, we on the allotments all use them here in Wales, and its quite easy to couple up as many as you want  i actually use 4 with one tap in  the end one,and a hose fits easy if you want it, use  BQ joining packs or diy,it, plumers mate if you like on the joints  stops any drips, it so easy we usually stand them on breeze blocks or old pallets,

good luck Alan4711

• Paul NPaul N Posts: 303

Some advice about the 1000 litre tank. I had one but because our small van was too small for the tank, we had to remove and leave behind the cage. Without this cage, the tank bloats and get's distorted. Also 1000 ltres of rainwater is mighty heavy; our soft soil subsided and it fell over. Also the tank needs covering to exclude sunlight as this caused the inside to turn black/green and smelly. It cost me about #35 but with a little work they are great.