London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
12 messages
17/04/2013 at 21:21

Good Evening,

I am currently studying design with the Open University and could do with some help please. A keen gardener myself I am interested to look at solutions for watering the garden. I would really appreciate it if people could respond to the questions below to help me with my project.

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?

a)    Small              b) Medium                 c) Large

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please indicate which of the following statements apply:

a)    “I only use water from a tap”

b)    “I collect rainwater in a water butt”

c)    “I recycle grey water”*

d)    Other, please specify

*For example waste water from the bathroom/kitchen that is relatively clean

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods that apply:

a)    Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)

b)    Hosepipe and sprinkler (using an inside/outside tap)

c)    Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)

d)    Hosepipe and electric pump (using an inside/outside tap)

e)    Hosepipe and solar powered pump (using water butt rain water)

f)     Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)

g)    Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)

h)   Other, please specify

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what factors make you revert back to tap water?

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are applicable below:

a)    Time: “I need to water as quickly as possible, I don’t have the time to continuously keep filling the watering can”

b)    Sustainability: “ I want to ensure that where possible I conserve water”

c)    Efficiency: I want to make sure my plants receive adequate water”

d)    Weight: “I don’t like carrying the watering can up and down”

e)    Durability/Reliability: “I need a solution that won’t let me down and will last”

f)     Aesthetics: “I want the solution to look good”

g)    Pressure: “I need to ensure there is adequate pressure to successfully water    my garden”

h)   Range: “I need to be able to water my garden at long range without losing pressure”.

Many thanks,

Stuart

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the barriers that stop you?

17/04/2013 at 21:42

Q1...b] medium

Q2..b] collect in water butt [I have 3 actually]

Q3..a],  f] and g]

Q4..only when my butts have run out...

Q5..b], c] and e]

17/04/2013 at 21:51

Q1- Medium

Q2 b but do you use tap water at times so a as well

Q3 a and g

Q4 when there's no water in my water butt

Q5 b and c

17/04/2013 at 22:09

Q1 small

Q2 water butt

Q3 rainwater-g

Q4.empty water butt

Q5 b & c

17/04/2013 at 22:19

! Medium

2 water butt

3 g mostly, but occassionally f

4 Water butt run dry

5 b and c

17/04/2013 at 22:26

a)    Small              

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please indicate which of the following statements apply:

b)    “I collect rainwater in a water butt”  X3

c)    “I recycle grey water”*

*For example waste water from the bathroom/kitchen that is relatively clean

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods that apply:

a)    Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)

b)    Hosepipe and sprinkler (using an inside/outside tap)

f)     Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what factors make you revert back to tap water?

lack of rainwater (occasionally)

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are applicable below:

b)    Sustainability: “ I want to ensure that where possible I conserve water”

f)     Aesthetics: “I want the solution to look good”

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the barriers that stop you?

17/04/2013 at 23:08

Q1) a-small

Q2) er, what is grey water? I use water I collect from various cans, plus some tap

Q3) f & g

Q4) I can't collect enough rainwater, so I mainly use tap and top up with rain, especially for plants that dislike hard water, like acers, camellias etc...

Q5) a, b & c

Q6) I use very little rainwater, only what I can collect in cans, because my garden is too small for a water butt...design me a compact water butt and I'll be happy!

18/04/2013 at 12:48

Jess, grey water is bath water, washing up water etc., it can be collected, stood to clear and then used on the garden.  Don't keep it in big containers as it goes yucky then.  Don't use if you are a big fan of scented and oily bath products.  It is fine for just about anywhere, and has saved many a garden in hosepipe ban & drought conditions - which are hard to imagine after last year but will doubtless appear at some point. 

18/04/2013 at 12:51

1 Medium

2 Several water butts, from house, shed and greenhouse

3 g when ever possible, but sometimes an outside tap for cans too.

4 Can't imagine doing so unless completely out of other water, when woud only water urgent things, baskets for example

5  1 - 6 inclusive

18/04/2013 at 13:06

Re Question 2:- I have already answered your questions and said I use a water butt. In fact I have 4 - 3 large ones from  the house and garage , a medium sized one off the GH.

I also have an emergency (used all water elsewhere) dustbin with an inverted lid that is at the bottom of the garden and just collects rainfall.

18/04/2013 at 14:25

Hi Stuart

c) Large

b)    “I collect rainwater in 2 water butts”

h)   Other, please specify - hosepipe off a water butt

if the butts ran dry

g)    Pressure: “I need to ensure there is adequate pressure to successfully water    my garden”

h)   Range: “I need to be able to water my garden at long range without losing pressure”.

Ta

18/04/2013 at 16:35

Large. 

We have a rainwater collection cistern and an old fashioned hand pump but it needs restoring so is not used.    I will be installing a water butt when the new shed goes up and that will be used in the greenhouse just behind it.

I use a hose and sprinkler or a hose and spray gun depening on what I'm watering but generally only water at planting or transplanting time and then let the plants survive on their own.   We have metered water with excellent pressure so it doesn't take long and I'm careful with it.

For holidays away, I gather all the garden pots and baskets and troughs behind the house and set up a sprinkler on a timer to water them all for 20 minutes during the night so they have time to absorb it.   Works for me.

I am not in the market for a watering system as we usually have plenty of rain except for a drought from April 2010 to spring 2011 which was rather devastating for many plants and I had to water the veg plot to get any crops.

email image
12 messages