London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
3 messages
25/02/2014 at 17:18

Even in the foulest weather, I am constantly up and down my garden and the route I take has now become a revolting sticky mud path.

I have bought some RapidGrid  (the same as used for my G/H base and of a similar grade to that used in commercial sites where the grass still grows over heavily used areas ).

Whilst concrete slabs may have been easier and cheaper, I didn't want a "solid" path which would only make the high rainfall more difficult to deal with.

My plan is to set the grids level with the rest of my lawn and seed............thereby producing a hardwearing path which still looks like the rest of the lawn.  That is the theory anyway

I'm wondering whether anyone on the forum has used a similar method and if there are any suggestions/ideas/pitfalls ..............I know it's going to be hard work but if it is successful, it should solve my problem in future years. Unless of course, we are coming into a decade of dry weather. 

Because I spend so much time in the garden, my OH is becoming miffed at the amount of mud I trail in on my boots (can't always be swapping shoes every time I come indoors

Any ideas or advice would be very much appreciated

25/02/2014 at 20:00

I haven't used it myself as my garden is quite free draining, but I have installed it in a friends garden. 

I used it, and put gravel chips in it, brush them in them tamping them down to give a very pleasing gravel path which doesn't hold water.

This is the main idea behind them, and I've seen them used on some gardening programmes for the same purpose. It does contain the gravel within the cells, and you must remember to lay a membrane underneath.

I would be concerned if you sowed grass seed as a filler for the cells, as they would be prone to drying out in my opinion.

You could seed the gravel with some herbs to give it a lift if you wanted to break up the path profile.

26/02/2014 at 10:40

Thanks for the advice Dave................it's going to be a while before I can lay the grids so I have time to think about any alternatives to my original idea.  The membrane/gravel has already proved an excellent base in the g/h.

Whilst it's hard to believe at the moment that anything will ever dry out, I take your point about the grass seed.  Thanks again 

email image
3 messages