Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Waterlogged land

Will it work to weedkill then spread bark chippings between shrubs in an area of waterlogged land at the bottom of a large garden?  I have planted a number of dogwoods and other water-tolerant plants but it's messy in between and I'd like to tidy it up so it looks more attractive. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

If you can kill the weeds and not the dogwoods I should think it would work well.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I don't like weed killers ,if you de-weed the area and dig over and but chippings such as bark you will find that will stop weeds the odd one you can pull up.With a water logged soil your in danger of the weed killer seeping into other plants and shrubs and at the end of the day weeding is part of gardening.image

• CazzieTCazzieT Posts: 74

Thanks, the seepage was what concerned me a bit though I was thinking of using one that would kill the weeds without harming the soil.  The problem with hand weeding is that this really is a quagmire so weeding is quite backbreaking and slow over an area of approx 30 sq m.  Digging over is impossible - the mud just sticks to the spade and there are large boulders scattered at spade's depth throughout.  Can't get a small digger in either - no access.