Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

weed killer!

After laboriuosly clearing weed from between cobbles in a courtyard I need to prevent them growing back but would like to use something which is bird friendly. Does anybody know what I can use. Thanks

• XX Posts: 707

Strong salt water solution Tale.  I use it to clear weedy paving, drive etc.  Best done when we have a dry week so that any roots left in the cracks between the cobbles can be dried out by the salt.  When more weeds appear, which they will eventually, repeat the salt solution.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

I've poured salt onto the crushed and bruised remains of Dock, which I can never dig out .....and the baby leaves that were left are now dead. Hopefully the root is too.

• TaleTale Posts: 4

thank you - when the rain stops long enough for the cobbles to dry I will certainly try the salt solutions!

• TaleTale Posts: 4

To marshmello - did you use salt solution or was it 'neat' ?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Would a flame thrower be suitable?  Or boiling water?  If you use salt make sure there is not run-off to other planted areas.