Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

weeding especially grass

my new beds grew brilliantly last year masses of flowers and masses of weeds too particularly grass. right now i seem to be creating  a lawn with all the sods of grass growing there. I think when my landlord increased the lawns and scattered grass seed a lot ended up in my flower beds.

I bought a dutch hoe on friday with the intention of clearing the weeds avoiding the perenials and adding some more seeds once i have the weeds under control which right now is mostly grass. 

my question is what to do with it I do have a hole which needs to be filled. so i could dump the grass sods in there or i could just drop em over the wall into the meadow next door. Any suggestions?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Where's the hole - what sort of hole? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PhasmidPhasmid Posts: 41

If the hole doesn't work out, I make a pile in an unused corner of the garden and after about a year it all rots down and is a nice consistency to add back to beds. Not exactly compost, I don't what you would call it - soil conditioner? I sometimes put used up compost on top too (if there's a large amount and I don't want it in my normal compost for some reason). 

I always thought it was a bit naughty of me to do that but on GQT the other day they recommended doing it So it is an official "thing". 

Ive also used clods to build up the banks of a pond too!

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

its just part of the border which got dug out, landlord needed some top soil... don't ask

so it needs filling with something anyway the beds kind of raised about 8-12 inches from the driveway.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Yes, I agree with Phasmid - stack turf upside down in a heap and let it turn back into topsoil.  

But if it's just lawn grass with the soil shaken off the roots I'd either dry it out and burn it, or put in the compost heap (providing it has no seed heads, and also providing it's not couch grass which spreads by putting out runners - if it's couch grass put it on the bonfire or in the brown bin)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

thank you it'll go best that way i think, i didn't want to be eroding my topsoil and taking nutrients out so it sounds like a plan, now i just need that final ingredient sweat image