London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
6 messages
14/04/2013 at 15:12

Has anyone used Wilko concetrated weedkiller? It does not say in instructions how long berore you can plant after using, or if you can replant,i want to use it on an area covered in ground elder, then hope to re seed with meadow grass. Any advice welcome.

14/04/2013 at 15:20

Is it a glyphosate based product?

Most modern weed killers act on contact with the leaves-you can safely plant when the weed has died back-they do not contaminate the soil

But you should find information on the label

14/04/2013 at 15:27

The Wilko weedkilelr contains glyphosate, which becomes deactivated once it is in contact with the soil , so as Lazy Gardener says, you can plant right away. However, in your case, wait until the ground elder has gone brown (2 weeks or so this time of year). If you cultivate the soil before this the ground elder roots may not have been killed and it can reappear. this weed is particularly nasty in lawns, so keep a close eye out for any leaves that reappear after you apply the weedkiller. You need two weeks without any new shoots to appear before you can start cultivating the soil.

14/04/2013 at 15:28

Yes it is glyphosate based, thanks for the info

14/04/2013 at 16:17

Modern research seems to suggest that unlike Monsanto claims, it is NOT totally deactivated on contact with the soil. Reisdues have been found in food crops.

Not that there is any other way of removing ground elder,  so I would suggest trying as best you can only to get the liquid on the leaves and not on bare soil. Counsel of excellence that, easier said than done.

14/04/2013 at 16:46

Quite right, Berghill. I should choose my words more carefully. It does not immediately degenerate into harmless substances on entering the soil, but it ceases to have any harmful affect on plants around which it is applied as it is not absorbed by the roots.

It should not be applied with a sprayer close to ponds as run off can affect  pond life. 

email image
6 messages