Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Weeds in the GH....

I decided to expand and have been given another bigger plot. The attraction was the GH but it's been without glass for sometime. Brambles and horse mares tail was growing inside.

I've dug out the brambles and as much of the nightmares tail roots as possible, covered the beds with muck and covered this with plastic The plan is to reglaze in the spring.

I realise this topic has been done to death but would horsemares tail survive the hot summer temps in a GH...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Given that it has existed since the surface of the planet was a tropical swamp, I should think it'll probably be very happy there image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I'd be tempted to dig out the greenhouse borders and line them with plastic (one of my uses for the many old MP compost bags I have!)  I do it because there are roots from a large Ash tree running under my GH and they send feeding roots up into the GH borders if I don't line them.  There are a couple of added bonuses:  the lining helps to retain moisture so I don't have to water as often now, and it makes it easier to replace the old soil which I do every 3 years or so. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Sounds like they will love living in the GHimage

I had thought of digging out the beds and putting gravel on top of plastic then growing in pots or alternatively laying concrete. Your option sounds like a good plan though to replace the soil every 3 yrs.

I put lime compost on a bed to grow brassica's and it has taken several months for nightmares tail to start growing again in that bed but lime isn't going to be of use with toms and cues. So not a good plan to put in mushroom compost with the soil...image