London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
2 messages
13/11/2012 at 15:13

My late mother in law used to offer us cuttings of her plants from her garden and on one occasion offered us a verigated white striped ivy type plant suitable as ground cover. We were warned at the time that once planted it was almost impossible to get rid of. This under statement of 3 decades ago, is still causing us a giant problem. The plant shoots up all over the garden (and has escaped to neighbours on both sides). If you miss the tiniest of fibers when pulling it up or accidentally compost just one leaf, up it comes all over the place next year!! It seems to send out shoots which self root (just like common ivy) and spreads everywhere including borders, rubble, compost and beds (probably including those upstairs in the house)!

I am now firmly of the opinion that somebody is up there looking down at us and laughing as we tear our hair out considering how best to control this wretched 'Triffid' plant !

Has anybody any suggestions other than a WW2 Flame Thrower !!

13/11/2012 at 15:54

Is this the one with the large leaves? Is so, take heart. It used to be here and it isn't now.

My equivalent is enchanter's nightshade. Quite pretty but as invasive as ground elder. The person who gave it to me warned me but I didn't take it seriously.

email image
2 messages