Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

weeping willow

I think that we have a weeping willow plant  and it does not seem to grow higher but instead it grows outward. It seems to have died a little but looks shabby. Are we doing anything wrong or what should we do with  it? 

It does come out in spring through summer but just seems to have long branches underneath but not much to look at.

Help!!! 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Can you put a photo up?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Is this a weeping willow like you see by the river or one of those small ones with the wider leaves and white pussies?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I'm wondering if its one of those grafted type

• I have grown a weeping willow from  a twig (3 times in fact) and it grew into a beautiful tree but too big for the garden and needed pollarding every winter to keep it in shape. We took it down later.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

It might be a Kilmarnock willow and they do look pretty awful through summer.  Theyr'e grafted onto a root stock so don't get any higher but do get wider and the branches are often too long for their height.  Deeply unattractive IMHO.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

I think it's another example of failure to look at the overall plant. The fluffy pussies are pretty for a couple of weeks. A year has 52 weeks, that's 50weeks with dull leaves on a sad shaped bush

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Those ones do have a saving grace though nut. They're goat willow and so are in the top ten plants good for wildlife. Having said that I got rid of mine within a month of moving in and gave the stem to the neighbour for turning, into a cricket bat for all I know. image

I prefer my goat willow in a more attractive shape Jim.

• Thanks for the help guys.

Much appreciated. Perhaps I can load a picture soon to help?

Dennis

Good idea Dennis, then we'll know which willow we're talking about.