London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
21 to 40 of 69 messages
09/03/2012 at 10:43
Won't say no as that would be tempting fate! Certainly not anywhere near my snowdrops.
09/03/2012 at 15:55

Hello

I'm having problems with my hemerocallis, last year I decided they needed dividing as they weren't producing many flowers, so separated them and i moved a few into a vacant border no more then 8ft away from the original clump. They have recently come up and they have been hit hard by some sort of pest, on a closer inspection they are tiny black flies that are eating the tender leaves. I have checked the original clump and another placed in the same border and neither seem to have been affected.

If its relevant there is a large pond a few feet from the pond?

I'd be gratefull for any help, 

Thanks Huw.

17/03/2012 at 15:29

can anyone help what is mulch? im very new to all this and mulch comes up alot!! thanks

24/03/2012 at 09:59

How can i stop rabbits eating and digging up my plants.

24/03/2012 at 12:46

Hi! Can anyone help to identify this green/yellow dusty mouldy stuff that has attacked my rowan tree?  I think the tree has left this mortal coil but I am curious as to what killed it off I have tried to submit a photo but I can't get it to transfer either by 'paste', orig format or zipped file

Also, my silver birch has died as well but there is no obvious signs of mould or anything else.  Both trees are in my front garden.

Thank you.

26/03/2012 at 10:31

Hello Jen10, when you tried to upload your image, did you do so by clicking the small tree icon, at the top of the message input box? If you click select, then navigate to the jpeg file on your computer, select it, then click 'upload', then the photograph should appear. Do let me know if you have any further problems.

Daniel
Editor, gardenersworld.com

26/03/2012 at 11:45

I have a healthy looking Angel's Fishing Rod, but it just produces leaves and will not flower. I'm wondering if it's in too hot a place. Any ideas please?

26/03/2012 at 12:10

I`m having probs uploading photo too... size is 9279 byte... 96 x 128 pixel but still says its too big to load...!!!! ;-(

26/03/2012 at 14:08

Thank you Daniel and yes I did click the tree and I went into my computer, I selected my picture but the message said it was too large.  I copied and pasted it into a word doc and decreased its size, that didn't work.  I zipped the file to make it smaller but that didn't work either.  They were either too large or not of the right format.  I'm not sure what else I can do with the photo/file?

ps. To the other lady on the forum, just for fun - I am a Jennifer Anne (with an e) too

26/03/2012 at 17:57

Hello Jen10 Sorry for the continued problem. It isn't possible to upload Word documents or Zip files to the forum - the images do need to be in jpeg format. What is the file size of your original image?

Reply to jean: there certainly shouldn't be any problem with the those pixel dimensions, or that file size. Is your image definitly saved in jpeg format, with a '.jpg' file extension? Do let me know, and we'll sort it out for you! Thanks for bearing with us.

Daniel

Editor, gardenersworld.com

26/03/2012 at 19:39

C:\Users\JenLin\Desktop\Flowers & Seedlings\IMG_1093.JPG is larger than 1024000bytes. Please upload a smaller file

This is what the message says - cheers!  Of course, if I ever get to download it, it is certain to be an anti-climax - ha!

Jennifer

26/03/2012 at 19:42

ps. I meant upload

26/03/2012 at 22:04

hi daniel... seems I am not the only one with loading photo problems.. yes it was jpg..but what is file extension... I click on tree...select file upload to web in smallest format & then click select on your box.. too big... maybe as soo many of us are having problems the upload on your site needs possibly looking at...all I can think of...

jean

27/03/2012 at 10:36

Reply to Jean: sorry to be unclear - the file extension is the type of file e.g. Word document or jpeg image, it appears after the file name e.g. 'myshrub.jpg'

If the file is a jpeg, and the file size only 9279 byte, then it should certainly upload, no problem. I'll ask our technical team to investigate the problem for you! I'll send you a direct message shortly, which you can access by clicking your login name, top right hand corner of the screen, and choosing 'My messages'.

27/03/2012 at 10:49

Reply to Jen10: It does sound as if the problem here is the file size of your image - the maximum file size for uploads is 10MB. In order to upload the image you'll need to reduce the file size. Are you on a mac or PC? If you're on a PC, there may well be an application called Paint installed, which will allow you to do this.

There is more info on Paint here.

If you have any further problems, do please let me know!

Daniel

27/03/2012 at 12:17

Thanks Daniel, I'll have one last shot then give up - after all, the tree is obviously dead - ha!

27/03/2012 at 12:22
kimberbell wrote (see)

can anyone help what is mulch? im very new to all this and mulch comes up alot!! thanks

Hi Kimberbell, Sorry about the delay in replying... Mulch is just a material that you put around the roots of your plants, at least a couple of inches thickness.  It can be anything from bark chippings to compost.  It helps to keep the moisture in the soil, keep the weeds down and can feed the plant when the worms take it down to the roots.  I hope this helps, I'm not an expert.  If this doesn't help, look up mulch on google and you will find lots of info.

03/04/2012 at 10:19
13/04/2012 at 09:47
I have a row of rhubarb and one crown (timperley early) goes to seed it has done it for the last two years why?
Lyn
21/04/2012 at 18:53

My tulips have nealy all been eaten down about 3" from the flower. Every morning they are laying on the ground, there are some small holes in the leaves as well, any ideas anyone please?. I have sprayed with a greenfly/white fly/caterpillar spray but I am not sure if its really working!.

21 to 40 of 69 messages