London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 37 of 37 messages
07/12/2013 at 12:54
Patrevlil wrote (see)
The only thing is that wellies with the sides cut out might be a tad less uglier than Crocs, but just as useless.

I guess this was said tongue in cheek, but joking aside, crocks are marvellous for gardening unless it's really muddy or desperately cold, for several reasons:

a) They are incredibly comfy, even if you have wide feet or joint problems.

b) You can leave them in the porch and not worry about them being affected by dampness.

c) If they get muddy you can hose them or just run them under the tap.

d) they are dead easy to just slip on and off and you can wear thick socks with them for Winter to keep warm.

Here ends my testament to the magnificent Crock (and, No I don't work for them!)

08/12/2013 at 17:23

I don't care if they're ugly, I love my crocs too and agree with all of the above LL.

08/12/2013 at 18:34
Ok I give in, guess I'll have to buy some crocs then!
08/12/2013 at 18:37

Tell me about crocs.

I googled and didn't see anything I could garden in. Or even hang out the washing. What am I missing here?

08/12/2013 at 18:58

Crocks are made of some kind of hard wearing plastic material. If you have the misfortune to visit a hospital, you will see lots of surgeons and nurses wearing them because of the comfort and ability to wear them all day. They have 'holes' in them so your feet are aerated and thick soles so that water doesn't penetrate the upper part of the shoe.

They are dead easy to slip on and off and are ultra convenient. I have mine by the conservatory door and in the morning when I troll around the garden feeding the birds, they are handy to slip on and prevent me having to walk in the damp in slippers.

Oh, and they come in an array of wonderful colours - the purple is cool !

I'm not suggesting for a minute that you wear them whilst digging an allotment but they are good for walking on soil if you are planting up, and just generally around the garden. I have come to love my crocks and only wear wellies for digging.

PS: They are also great for wearing on flights

08/12/2013 at 18:58

If you leave crocs out in the sun, they shrink. (just a tip from my aussie pals who noticed I had left a pair outside in the sun, rather than traipse mud in) I have some that look like ballerina flats, weigh next to nothing and great for beaches.

08/12/2013 at 19:08
I only wear wellies in the bad weather, the rest of the time I wear lightweight gardening clogs that you can buy at most garden centres ( I noticed that Wilkinsons are now selling them) they come in all colours and are ??6.99 - how do crocs compare with that price?
08/12/2013 at 19:09
That should've been a pound sign NOT question marks!
08/12/2013 at 19:56

Thanks, maybe they'd do me for a bit of light summer weeding. Can't see them suiting the heavy duty stuff that goes on here in winter. 

08/12/2013 at 20:10

Before we all get competely besotted withCrocs (whatever the colour), let's hear it for that traditional improvisational standby, the Bread-Bag Welly! Our family Christmas get-togethers were often blessed/ hampered by snowy weather. The youngsters would be keen to get out and enjoy the full benefits of whatever meagre supplies of snow had arrived overnight! But what to do when it was realised that their wellies had not been crammed into the already overloaded car?? Fortunately a ready supply of empty bread bags (plastic, not waxed paper) could be pressed into service and applied to young feet that needed urgently to get out into the snowy surrounds.   Held in place by large GPO rubber bands, 'BBWs' would generally last for an hour or so until the snowman had been built, and all available spare snow had been scooped up as ammunition for the inevitable snowball 'free-for-all'! Happy Days, indeed!!

08/12/2013 at 20:18

GPO rubber bands I have by the thousand David.  The postman uses them to hide other peoples mail in with mine. It saves him going back up the road to deliver them.

Bread bag wellies, I like that.

09/12/2013 at 08:26

I love my Crocs - I have two pairs, one with the ventilation holes for summer, and a pair without holes for winter.

I would love to be able to wear wellies for gardening, but I have incredibly high insteps and cannot get my foot into a pair of boots that doesn't have a zip or equivalent opening and fastening.  I can get my foot into a Man's welly that is several sizes too big, but then I'm weighted to the ground by the heaviness and my food rattles around in the foot part.  My aunt had a similar problem and actually had her insteps reduced surgically so that she could wear fashionable shoes.  

My only problem with Crocs is that OH keeps pinching them to wear in the studio and although they were plain black, they're now multicoloured paint-splattered - the only Jackson Pollock Crocs in the world - if you'd like your Crocs Pollock-ised send them along with the return postage to my OH 

09/12/2013 at 08:40

I wish some one would invent a welly or boot that mud didn't stick to I always look like the mafia has given me a pair of concrete boots only after about 10 min of digging even walking across the lawn this time of year gives me a mafia pair of shoes ready for the local river LOL

James

09/12/2013 at 09:44

CluelessGardener wrote (see)

I wish some one would invent a welly or boot that mud didn't stick to I always look like the mafia has given me a pair of concrete boots only after about 10 min of digging even walking across the lawn this time of year gives me a mafia pair of shoes ready for the local river LOL

James

Spray some WD40 onto the boots and the mud does not stick to them. Some goes with lawn mowers - grass does not stick to the blade and insides as much if you spray it with WD40.

09/12/2013 at 09:46

I will try this on my boots this week Thank you for the tip

09/12/2013 at 17:48
Patrevlil wrote (see)
I only wear wellies in the bad weather, the rest of the time I wear lightweight gardening clogs that you can buy at most garden centres ( I noticed that Wilkinsons are now selling them) they come in all colours and are ??6.99 - how do crocs compare with that price?

You know what they say about asking how much something is - if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it! And Crocks aren't cheap I'm afraid (about the £20/25 mark). I have the clog wellies as well but they aren't anywhere as near as comfy or light as crocks and because they have no heel I tend to get my feet wet in them when the water seeps up my jeans (yuk!).

09/12/2013 at 19:38

you should always buy wellies one size bigger than the

shoe size you normally wear

email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages