Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Welly boots

I was given some wellies for christmas, they were a bit snug but I assumed that they would strtech but they are still too tight for thick socks. Does anyone know a tip for loosening them?

• Paul NPaul N Posts: 303

Thin socks?

• joslowjoslow Posts: 218

Thanks Paul, I have been wearing thin socks but may need to wear some thicker socks come winterimage

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think you may have to buy some new wellies!  The trick for streching boots with wet paper etc. only works for leather boots.  Leather can be coaxed to "give" a little bit (i.e. stretch) and will stay stretched.  Rubber boots will stretch a tiny bit when you put your foot in them, but like a rubber band they will snap back to their original size as soon as you take your foot out, and I don't think there is anything you can do to change that.  Keep them as your summer pair and buy some more for winter.  My dad used to wear his cheap and cheerful sloppy wellies with oiled wool sea-boot socks.  Nice and cozy!

• chelliechellie Posts: 37

if all else fails and you dont have any chance of them fitting you use them for plants i have my sons pair that are too small and im planning on putting his favourite flowers in them get him to help me although with bigger wellies you could cut hole in the side and put plants in from the side  xx recycling is the key xx

• joslowjoslow Posts: 218

Thanks for the suggestons I will need to find some cheap new ones.

• kay3kay3 Posts: 6

I used to work at an engineering firm and one of the jobs was to put rubber handles on the ends of mop and broom poles, now these were always smaller than the actual poles so they were emersed in hot water for a fer minutes to soften them, they became very supple and just slipped on, so i thought if wellies are too narrow try this without getting the inside wet and put them on asap and see if that works.

• kay3 - I assume that once your rubber handles had cooled down they didn't slip off again or they wouldn't have been much good as handle grips. Therefore, if you have to warm your wellies in hot water to get them on, you might have a tiny bit of trouble getting them off again.  image

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

But at least your feet would be waterproof all winter..........image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I have 3 pairs of wellies - one for bare feet in summer, one for one pair of socks in spring and autumn and one for 2 pairs of socks or ski socks in winter.

Stretching wellies is asking for leaks.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato