London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 37 messages
28/07/2012 at 14:06

I was given some wellies for christmas, they were a bit snug but I assumed that they would strtech but they are still too tight for thick socks. Does anyone know a tip for loosening them?

28/07/2012 at 16:45

Thin socks?

28/07/2012 at 17:02

Thanks Paul, I have been wearing thin socks but may need to wear some thicker socks come winter

28/07/2012 at 20:57

Don't know about if this works for wellies but.............pack something into the foot,

I've put slightly damp newspaper into shoes to strech them

29/07/2012 at 20:13

I think you may have to buy some new wellies!  The trick for streching boots with wet paper etc. only works for leather boots.  Leather can be coaxed to "give" a little bit (i.e. stretch) and will stay stretched.  Rubber boots will stretch a tiny bit when you put your foot in them, but like a rubber band they will snap back to their original size as soon as you take your foot out, and I don't think there is anything you can do to change that.  Keep them as your summer pair and buy some more for winter.  My dad used to wear his cheap and cheerful sloppy wellies with oiled wool sea-boot socks.  Nice and cozy!

29/07/2012 at 20:48

if all else fails and you dont have any chance of them fitting you use them for plants i have my sons pair that are too small and im planning on putting his favourite flowers in them get him to help me although with bigger wellies you could cut hole in the side and put plants in from the side  xx recycling is the key xx

30/07/2012 at 17:03

Thanks for the suggestons I will need to find some cheap new ones.

04/12/2013 at 16:07

I used to work at an engineering firm and one of the jobs was to put rubber handles on the ends of mop and broom poles, now these were always smaller than the actual poles so they were emersed in hot water for a fer minutes to soften them, they became very supple and just slipped on, so i thought if wellies are too narrow try this without getting the inside wet and put them on asap and see if that works.

05/12/2013 at 11:42

kay3 - I assume that once your rubber handles had cooled down they didn't slip off again or they wouldn't have been much good as handle grips. Therefore, if you have to warm your wellies in hot water to get them on, you might have a tiny bit of trouble getting them off again. 

05/12/2013 at 15:42

But at least your feet would be waterproof all winter..........

05/12/2013 at 16:15

I have 3 pairs of wellies - one for bare feet in summer, one for one pair of socks in spring and autumn and one for 2 pairs of socks or ski socks in winter.

Stretching wellies is asking for leaks.

05/12/2013 at 16:44
Love your sense of humour Paul N - your reply to joslow really made me laugh! However, I agree with most of the replies in that I don't think it's possible to stretch wellies. I put my tight pair in the charity bag and bought a new pair. I also have a pair of half wellies that are so easy to take on and off and I tend to wear them (when needed) most of the time.
KEF
05/12/2013 at 17:13

P. Sorry I've only just seen this thread and you've got rid of wellies. You could have cut the sides out like my Nan did when her bunions were bad, or re-invented the Croc.

05/12/2013 at 18:01
The only thing is that wellies with the sides cut out might be a tad less uglier than Crocs, but just as useless.
05/12/2013 at 18:10

Believe it or not I have just been bought a pair of Hunters Wellies for my birthday they were a little bit tight then I held them upright in a bowl of hot water only from the tap mind and now they slip on easily, if they do tighten up cos you have been out in bad weather just warm them up again in the water, it does work.Had no trouble getting them off either, it wont harm them so long as you do NOT pour boiling water over them.

05/12/2013 at 20:12

put rolled up  flannels or cloths in the foot part for a couple of days or do a swap for a bigger pair!

05/12/2013 at 20:35

Put on your thin socks, then before sliding each foot into your wellies, slide each one into a plastic bag.  This will  keep your feet warm and waterproof, and the wellies will slide off easily!

Alternatively, get some muck boots - just bought some from Oakfield Saddlery!

06/12/2013 at 19:22

Swear by my muckboots in the summer, but move on to wellies and thermal socks in the winter

06/12/2013 at 19:24

I have Derri boots, insulated. A size too big so I can have the thick socks as well

06/12/2013 at 19:26

Nothing better than toastie toes

1 to 20 of 37 messages