8 messages
12/03/2014 at 08:17

Hi all,

I've been fairly sucessful at identifying most things that are coming up in my new garden so far but this one has me scratching my head a little.  I guess it's probably something really common but I don't want to turn the glyphosate on them until I know what it is. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39361.jpg?width=246&height=350&mode=max

Thanks, Lil.

12/03/2014 at 08:38

Might be Meconopsis cambrica, welsh poppy. They do spread around.

12/03/2014 at 09:45

Nutcutlet , they do indeed spread about. I've had enough of them seeding into my hostas, I'm planning to attack the offending specimens with Roundup gel. They do, as the photos shows, come up nice and early so I can zap them ( ditto aquilegias) before the hostas get going.

I've got plenty of them seeded into open ground to enjoy, but I do now pull the seed heads off before they ripen.

12/03/2014 at 10:07

It is welsh poppy, I have loads of them in my garden, gorgeous little things and will brighten up a shady place.

12/03/2014 at 11:00

I made the mistake of getting some red seed, M. cambrica 'Frances Perry' 

It's nasty, a sort of washed out field poppy look.

It has crossed back with some of the yellows though and I have some nice ones that are almost all yellow with a hint of orange-red at the edges.

12/03/2014 at 13:15

I agree with nut - I love these as they pop up all over the place, sometimes yellow, sometimes orange.  Easy to pull out if you don't like where they've popped up, not so easy to transplant.  Low growing - but will continue to flower up to the first frosts.

12/03/2014 at 13:23

Thank you.  There are a few of them scattered through the borders and a few at the base of the fig tree.  I think I'll glyphosate gel those around the fig tree and wait to see how those in the borders look with whatever else springs up in them.

18/03/2014 at 17:14

must you weedkiller?  they are so pretty, and if you really dont like them a quick going over with the hoe would remove them.

email image
8 messages