Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 20 replies

Heather Michaels

Hello everyone, I would appreciate it if someone could identify the fungi growing out of the bark at the base of a rather grand, old and beautiful Chestnut tree that grows in my garden. Its sprung up rapidly over the last couple of days. I know nothing about fungus (other than the fact that various different varieties grow in different places around my garden each autumn), but I know that honey fungus is not good news. Is this honey fungus?

Pics below of the fungus, one I think is a little blurry but hopefully you can id from these (if the pics work, having lots of trouble today).

Thanks in advance

Heather 

Fingers crossed these work and you're not looking at a little blue box with a question mark in it!

Dovefromabove

I can see the pics ok; I'm afraid that's the good news

Heather Michaels

Oh I don't like the sound of that Dove. Is it Honey Fungus?

nutcutlet

I fear that's HF. But any fungus growing out of a live tree is not good news in the long term

Heather Michaels

Dammit! I just had this awful sinking feeling when I saw it. OK thanks to both of you, I will be mentioning it to the landlady when I see her, and muse over the possibility of a beautiful, grand, 40 odd foot tall Chestnut tree (which perversely this year is absolutely bursting with Chestnuts) having to come down in the not too distant future. Not a happy bunny 

Advertisement

BobTheGardener
nutcutlet wrote (see)

I fear that's HF. But any fungus growing out of a live tree is not good news in the long term

My thoughts exactly, nut.  Sorry it's such bad news Heather.

Heather Michaels

Will do Edd. Will post tomorrow along with the pics of my oak leaves! Thank you again, you are very knowledgeable. I am learning but I have a long way to go. 

Heather Michaels

Thanks Bob, am feeling a little down about it right now 

pansyface

The swansong fruiting abundance is a bad sign, I think. But the main problem with honey fungus is that it spreads by underground wiry "roots" and many other plants are susceptible to it too. The food news is that, cooked, it is an Italian delicacy

nutcutlet

I'll have to watch out for the fruiting bodies on mine. If I don't pick them off they collapse in a black mess all over the cyclamen

pansyface

Mycelium is not your celium Edd. You can have the honey fungus mycelium and I'll stick with the other stuff

Heather Michaels

Edd   

Pansyface - the Chestnut grows and towers above a very large Japonica (variety escapes me just now) which isn't doing well. Didn't last year and is doing even worse this year. Could that be affected by the Fungus? Or could it be just the fact that its so close to the tree that it isn't getting enough nutrients do you think?

Nut - all the neighbourhood mice chewed through all of my Cyclamen and murdered them 

pansyface

It could be either Heather. Just a case of wait and see. And hope. But there's a fair chance that the demolition of the chestnut will involve the japonica. I have a dimmish view of tree demolishers.

nutcutlet

Most woody plants can be attacked by HF, some less so than others. I don't know where japonica fits. tbh I don't know what japonica is.

Mice seem to prefer my crocuses to the cyclamen Heather.

pansyface

Is it a Japanese quince?

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Chaenomeles japonica? (or speciosa). They always look rough here. I had to put the last one through the shredder last year

Heather Michaels

Sorry pansy face really not sure. It was here when we took over the tenancy and is clearly quite old and not well tended before we came. I've had to much to do I haven't given it full attention either ashamed to say. I've kept it cut back a little, but it doesn't seem to have improved it much. I'm working with it again now, or trying to but I've been afraid of cutting it back too hard for fear of killing it! And right now I'm thinking that the only thing that would save it is Nut's shredder!

nutcutlet

My shredder eats anything Heather. Including a pair of secateurs

nutcutlet

Yes, it just picked them up off the ground and spewed the bits out of the other end.

Nothing to do with me losing them under a heap of prunings