London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
08/08/2012 at 19:32

I am potting on lots of seeds and I have run out of small 3inch flower pots.  Does anyone have ideas what I can use - have thought of coleslaw pots etc but they are clear - does this matter or do the roots need to be in darkness.  I really don't want to have to buy any plastic pots - when I think of the hundreds I must have thrown away over the years.  Only got my greenhouse this year and have been going mad growing seeds.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

08/08/2012 at 19:40

Origami some paper ones or toilet roll holders, tape over the bottom.

08/08/2012 at 19:46

Plastic drink cups,yogurt pots-

look on freecycle-I often see flowerpots being given away.

08/08/2012 at 19:47

Most of the garden centres near me have a large bin neat the exit where they put trays (usualy used for holding pots), I've used these quite often as seed trays, but I guess you could also pot on in to them.

As kate says you can also use newpaper (link).

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-organic-planting-pots-using-old-newspa/

08/08/2012 at 19:48

Our local garden centre (Notcutts) has a place where you can take unwanted plastic pots, and if you need some you can go and help yourself.  Do you have a Notcutts near you?

08/08/2012 at 19:56

The think is I want to keep things in them to plant out next spring so am thinking that paper will not last the winter in the greenhouse.  I shall have a look at my garden centre, and yes we do have a Notcutts.  Thanks everyone for your help

08/08/2012 at 20:11

Oh  just looked at your page Lavender Lady - your Notcutts is probably my Notcutts   The recycled pots bin is just by the side of the pedestrian entrance as you go in from the car park 

08/08/2012 at 20:12

Empty butter tubs,trays that fruit/meat come in, plastic milk cartons with the lids cut off, plastic squash/pop bottles with the tops cut off. Anything plastic with depth really. Nothing is safe in our house! Jess has never eaten so many yoghurts and trifles!

08/08/2012 at 20:34

Lavender Lady what has been your most successful seed sowing this year?

08/08/2012 at 20:39

I always keep yoghurt pots to use as plant pots.  I'm not allowed to put them in my recycling bin so I'm recycling them myself.

08/08/2012 at 21:13

Lavender Lady, some good idea's given...

...and although you don't want to buy any pots... Garden superstore online sell pots 7cm square by 8cm deep - light weight 6p each and heavy weight 13p each. 15 fit in a seed tray, so 90p for 15 light weight or £1.95 for heavy weight. I'd recommend the heavy weight and Wilkco may sell them cheaper - worth a thought, as you'll still need to purchase yoghurts for their pots and you might need rather alot... there's only so many yoghurts a person can eat

08/08/2012 at 21:50

Hello Lavender Lady, Those small pots are very handy, the nursery just round the corner from me has a free section that you can just take. If I see some good offers in B&M or Wilkos I get them there as well. Just bought 20 for a £1.

I do buy a lot of rescue (cheap) plants, so reuse some of the orginal packing. The deeper, triangular ones are great for slightly larger plants. Allows for the plants to develop a good root system without having to disturb it a lot.The ones I reuse are made of tough plastic so don't split with the weight.

The prices quoted by Zoomer sound like a good deal and if you have to bring on a lot 15 in a seed tray sounds good to me

08/08/2012 at 22:12

Hello Lavender Lady

Like you not long started in this garden and greenhouse I started to save all yoghurt pots and cream plastic pots to bring on plants and seeds.

09/08/2012 at 02:16

Hi Lavender Lady

Don't forget to put holes in the plastic pots. You can do it with a hot carving fork held over the gas burner. I haven't tried electric. You must clean the fork while is still fairly warm or the residue (plastic) sets and it's difficult to remove!  I've also found that the polystyrene drinks cups you get from some machines are great to put plants in (and easier to make holes in)

09/08/2012 at 19:19

Well said, gardeninggenes.  We have a soldering iron, which is absolutely ideal for making holes in plastic yoghurt & cream pots etc.  Before we had it, I used to get a metal BBQ skewer and heat it up on the gas hob until the end was very hot. It worked, but it cooled down quite quickly and it created soot and was messier.

09/08/2012 at 19:29

sotongeoff has a brilliant idea with Freecycle.  When we were moving house I got rid of tons of stuff which would otherwise have gone to the recycling centre to be put into landfill or burnt, by advertising it there.  

Ask people at work or at your kids' school if they have any spare pots or would save you some.  You'll probably end up with more than you can handle!

Our local farm shop sells yoghurts in very sturdy plastic pots.  We eat loads.  I'd send you some, willingly, but the postage would cost more than buying new plantpots.

Also, you might have a local gardening club who can help with pots.

09/08/2012 at 21:49
Look at Homebase, the garden centre bit, they had a big boxful of used plant pots with a please take what u want sign last time I went. Also as the man said try the Garden Centre our local one has a plant pot recycle bin, u can just help yourself 4 free
09/08/2012 at 22:14

Fantstic expectations with Freecyle, I  don't feel the need the for a soldering iron to make holes in  things .When I reuse takeaway/ microwave meals trays/ yoghurt pots  to sow seeds I just stab holes in the bottom of the container with a fork

09/08/2012 at 22:24

Hollie- Hock I have found that if you stab a hole in a plastic pot quite often it will crack across the base.  That might not matter, but if you want to preserve its strength and stability it's better to melt a hole.

09/08/2012 at 22:42

ChapelGirls2, That all depends on the type and strength of the plastic that you are working with. If we are talking on ways to save money &  on how to grow seeds successfully, I will stick my takeaways/ microwave/yougurt pots stabbed with a fork!

Lucky you having a soldering iron at hand. You could do loads with that

1 to 20 of 23 messages