London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
17 messages
13/02/2014 at 22:40

Hello,

First off can I just say that you have all kept safe and sound over the last 48 hours, and the hours ahead.

The wind last night was absolutely dreadful and has caused so much damage, which got me to wondering if it has caused any issues for anyone on here?

For example the wind blew out 4 of the polycarbonate panes in my greenhouse at half past 9 last night! I had to make a quick dash to try and save some plants and move them into my conservatory whilst trying to find said panes! Not a happy bunny as I had sown a lot of seed trays the day before too and my greenhouse was full of plants.
It is currently sat with blue plastic sheeting and will need to be taken down to re-fit the panes .... seriously considering buying a real glass one after this!

I do hope everyone else hasn't faired as bad!

14/02/2014 at 09:55

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37455.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

this was my greenhouse last Wednesday morning. Insurance claim underway.

14/02/2014 at 09:56

I haven't had any damage luckily, my neighbour's haven't done so well though. Multiple fence loss, roof tiles etc.

Spent half of yesterday helping them clear up.

Most of the fence loss was due to poor construction or elderly fencing.

Just as in nature weak things go first, and many didn't take any precautions. 

Lyn
14/02/2014 at 09:58

Well, 200.000 people in Java suffering from ash fallout, their houses up to the roofs in dust and ash, at least we know the water here will eventually drain away,  i dont suppose they are too worried about early sown seeds.

There is a thread on here already about wind damage to greenhouses.

14/02/2014 at 10:03

Hostafan, that's bad. Where are you, it looks very exposed. 

No real damage here, masses of small and medium sized sticks to pick up, but no floods or structural damage so far. Tonight's forecast looks wild again.

14/02/2014 at 10:15

Hi Nutcutlet, we're in north Devon. The price for having fabulous views ( we can see both Dartmoor and Bodmin ) is the wind. Hey ho, at least we'll never be under water.

14/02/2014 at 11:56

The downside to a good view. We're pretty exposed but in the east we rarely get anything like you get in the west.

The Javan dust and our floods and winds  bring it home to us that we're not really masters of the world

14/02/2014 at 12:10

No damage here thankfully but I have seen plenty around here.

14/02/2014 at 14:17

Lyn I am aware of that and I feel sorry for those people it must be terrible.
I am also aware of the wind damage greenhouse thread but with mine I wanted to see what other damage had also been caused to others gardens. I feel your comment was a little abrupt in response as I didn't mean any harm or offence with my thread.

Hostafan I hope your insurance works out for your GH

14/02/2014 at 15:06

Thanks NGCARDS.  Fingers crossed.

14/02/2014 at 15:10

fences down .

KEF
14/02/2014 at 15:43

Rose do you have a horse and are the fences part of a paddock? I hope not.

14/02/2014 at 19:47

Sorry to hear  of such damage folks.  we tend to think we are safe from violent weather in this country but property destroyed like this is distressing and worrying.  Yes worse,things happen elsewhere but when it's on your own doorstep amd personal it's difficult to handle.  

Even though we have had horrendous winds the only damage......so far, and touch wood that's all.........has been a panel from my greenhouse roof.  

14/02/2014 at 20:43

we had 2 fences blow down before xmas, nothing as yet from the latest lot of wind,but my sister has 1 fence down, and neighbours have 2 down.

feel so sorry for all the folks with damaged gardens etc. they must be fed up to the back teeth with it all.

18/02/2014 at 09:17

Fingers crossed Spring makes an appearance soon for everyone! xxx

18/02/2014 at 09:26

DM today is reporting more winds next week  I know there are bad things happening all over the world, but when it's so close to home it just makes it feel worse.    No harm at all in showing that you care NGCARDS.

Like you say, fingers crossed the worst is over and spring makes an appearance soon.

18/02/2014 at 09:46

I do hope the winds aren't as strong next week, were planning on putting the GH back together this weekend (with the addition of silicone this time!) and I bet others may be considering putting bits back together too. 

Thank you Tracey

email image
17 messages