London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
14 messages
21/03/2014 at 21:14

To cut to the chase, there's an area at the bottom of the plot which won't be enclosed with a rabbit proof fence...

I was thinking they don't eat flowers so may grow some to cut in this area, are there any vegs they aren't keen on or do they eat anything and everything.

I had also planned to line the bottom of the chicken wire fence around the main growing area with black plastic about a ft high, thinking if they can't see into the plot this would be another defence.

All advise welcome...

22/03/2014 at 07:06

Oh yes they do eat flowers - if it's tasty they'll eat it - flower, veg ......... all the same to a rabbit! They don't read the labels 

The RHS site has a list of plants that they're not quite so keen on  http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=209 

KEF
22/03/2014 at 07:14

Curry.

Soz Zoomer I've woken up in a silly mood. I don't have any helpful information

22/03/2014 at 07:17

You and OH both KEF - he asked if they would eat profiteroles!!!!!! 

22/03/2014 at 08:15

Nothing is the short answer Zoomer 

I think they'd try curry too KEF!

They'll leave daffs and snowdrops. If you protect them enough initially, clematis, honeysuckle and ivy, heathers, rhodos, cotoneaster and conifers. We had schizostylus which they largely left alone. Escallonia and Amelanchier were left but they were established. They'll have a go at almost anything - especially the youngsters at this time of year, so perennials are a huge problem. They ate around £150 worth of plants overnight at my last house, most of which didn't recover.

22/03/2014 at 08:18

Fairygirl wrote (see)

.............. They'll have a go at almost anything - especially the youngsters at this time of year, ................

Hence my careful choice of wording ........... 

...........The RHS site has a list of plants that they're not quite so keen on 

22/03/2014 at 08:52

Some of them here are carniverous Dove...honest....

I found it incredible that they eat Holly - but I watched them doing it!

I've remembered Potentilla, Alchemilla and Loosestrife are others  they seem to leave alone Zoomer. If you shield shrubs with chicken wire till they're a bit stronger and can fend off the nibbling, that seems to work quite well.  

22/03/2014 at 21:37

Well, that's burst my bubble on growing lots of flowers to cut, me thinks I'll grow those at home, so pleased I asked the Q. 

A helpful list though Dove, at a push I've 8 of the plants and I can grow rubarb and currant bushes down there. They seem resistant to sunflowers too.

KEF, would you just believe it, the newbie's on the neighbouring plot own the nicest curry house in town and are planning on growing some traditional crops, some they could only discribe to me, one with purple leaves and lots of spinach and corriander. I'm hoping the rabbits will be full after a feast on those before they turn on my crop.

I'll check out those you've listed Fairygirl. I've a lot of chicken wire left but was thinking of heightening the fence around the main growing area with it.      

Is it worth putting up a barrier of black plastic around the bottom of the boundary fence?

KEF
23/03/2014 at 08:32

Zoomer I do hope the rabbits leave your stuff alone    I was going to suggest dressing like a rabbit and helping yourself to coriander and spinach, but I don't want anyone to think I'm seriously suggesting nicking other people's crops.

23/03/2014 at 08:44

What you need is a

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40027.jpg?width=336&height=350&mode=max

23/03/2014 at 09:00

If they want to get in, they will, especially if there are goodies on the other side! Not sure plastic would work - chicken wire is the usual method but you have to bury it cos they they just tunnel under. Little darlings...

I can only go by the experience I had in my last garden Zoomer. We were next to fields and farmland and they were rampant. The year we moved in, our neighbour across the road said they were worse than he'd seen in a long time though, and they definitely weren't so bad the following year. Once things are established they can fend off the nibbling but that's not much use for annuals or perennials. We had planned to build lots of high raised beds in a courtyard bit nearest the house, so that we could then grow any ornamentals and veg we wanted. If you can't beat 'em...foil them! 

23/03/2014 at 11:29

Zoomer, plant things that you hate and I guarantee the rabbits won't touch 'em and will concentrate on your favourite and most expensive plants!

I'm not helping am I?

Seriously, unless you can use chicken wire or high raised beds like FG says there is little you can do.  From my own experience of having just one wild rabbit making home under my shed I can tell you that the littles will eat almost anything.

23/03/2014 at 14:02

Plants are most vulnerable when they are new or when the rabbits have little alternative choice of food. Some plants that rabbits are most likely to be avoided include:

• Agastache foeniculum
  • Alcan rosea (hollyhock)
  • Alchemilla
  • Anemone blanda
  • Aquilegia
  • Aster
  • Astilbe
  • Brunnera
  • Borago officinalis (borage)
  • Convallaria majalis (lily-of-the-valley)
  • Cyclamen
  • Digitalis (Foxglove)
  • Epimedium
  • Euphorbia
  • Fushia
  • Galanthus nivalis (snowdrop)
  • Geraniums
  • Hemerocallis (Day Lily)
  • Iris
  • Lamiums
  • Lychnis chalcedonica (Maltese cross)
  • Malva moschata
  • Miscanthus
  • Narcissus (Daffodil)
  • Nepeta
  • Nicotiana
  • Osteospernum
  • Paeonia
  • Phormium
  • Potentilla
  • Pulmonaria
  • Sedums
  • Starchy Byzantina
  • Verbena
  • Vinca

My fear is that rabbits have varying tastes in different parts of the country so what they avoid in my patch might be different from yours! They also seem to have a fascination with anything new. The feeding habits of rabbits depends on how hungry they are and how much choice of food they have so maybe the best policy is to get your next door plot to grow lots of plants that the rabbits adore (only joking!).

23/03/2014 at 21:57

I've put a rabbit proof fence in but went across the plot with it at the bottom due to the roots of two huge tree stumps being in the way.

We think the rabbits get in off the train line and judging by where their droppings are and amount it looks like they party on the plot next door.

I read today, rabbits aren't keen on onions, garlic, shallots and leeks. l may grow these down there. I've also got Hollyhock, foxglove and lots of geraniums.

Was thinking of growing a none invasive ivy (if there is a variety) over the train track fence but also putting chicken wire at the bottom.

Something has already been on the plot eating dug up spuds.

email image
14 messages