London (change)
Today 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
19 messages
17/04/2014 at 20:50

I have masses of grass clippings. I have just mown the grass (I hesitate to call it a lawn!) properly on the highest setting and have about 8 wheelbarrows of the stuff. I have sprinkiled a 10cm layer on the compost heaps but do not really know what else to do. I have this problem every year and it often results in a slimy stinking mess. Does anyone have some advice about how to deal with it?  I would like to compost it but so far have not had much success.

17/04/2014 at 20:58

ive got a lot of leaves that were swept up last year. I mix them up with grass cuttings, shredded hedge prunings and kitchen waste and it  makes compost.You can lay them as mulch around raspberry plants

17/04/2014 at 21:00

We compost them with lots of shredded cardboard, partially rotted down leaves from last autumn and veg peeling etc.  If you put grass clippings on the compost heap add equal amounts of shredded paper/cardboard etc and stir it around regularly to let air into the heart of the heap - that'll stop it from going wet and slimy

17/04/2014 at 21:34

Our petrol mower has a mulcher, we then put the muched grass cuttings in the compost bin along with the veg peelings etc.

17/04/2014 at 21:35

Hi 

As Dove stated mixing the grass cuttings with the rest of your compost mixture is essential to creating a good compost, if you just throw it top of the rest of your compost it will  just turn in to a slimy mix that will pong a bit

i would always mix in small heaps with the rest of the compost mix and give it all a good watering to get the heat process starting. As a rule, turning your compost so that you mix thoroughly and get air in to it will speed up the process. I do this about 3 times a garden season

17/04/2014 at 21:38

Thankfully.  I did away with my lawn years ago.  In my garden.  I am the boss, not the lawn.  Actually, grass cuttings are full of nitrogen.  Very valuable to plants. Believe me, this works.  Scatter the cuttings in and around your shrubs and in fact, anywhere in the garden.  OK it might look a bit messy for a day or two.  It is far better than having a stinking slimy mass in the corner.  A good practice is to frequently get amongst the plants and shrubs.  Using a dutch hoe, simply chip away at the soil.  This will break up the soil surface and at the same time mix the cuttings into the soil.  Same hoeing method also applies to annual weeds.  Basically you chop them up and return them to the ground.  Also, grass cutting can be spread on areas that you are about to plant spuds or any other thing.  Grass cuttings are so valuable.  Even in the greenhouse, potting up etc.  Believe me.  I have, when I was working.  Added a handful of cuttings into the potting  compost.  Beats all of these chemical bits and bobs.  If you are digging over an area.  As you turn a spit over, you are left with a mini trench.  Befoer taking the spade to the next row.  Chuck a load of cuttings into the strench, then turn over the next spit.

Simples.. Click

17/04/2014 at 21:41

Ooops.  Nearly forgot.  Stick a load in a container and let the mass rot down, it is a quick process. Then either strain the liquid or simply water it onto the growing area.  No trade names. No advertising.  Simply, as most call it. Mother Nature going about her daily business.

17/04/2014 at 21:42

In Devon i've been mowing since early March! I use my grass cutting to mulch around my bamboos, the warmth as it breaks down heats the soil incourages earlier canes to grow. And of course feeds them

17/04/2014 at 23:13

Much as I respect your views Mike I have to disagree with ??ou.

Grass mowings as a mulch around plants is a big NO from me.  They will produce grass weeds for ever and a day.

I once had a brainwave.  I would mulch rhubarb, runner beans and others with my grass mowings.  I still have grass weeds  growing in my veg patch.

Mixing mowings with other compost is best way I think....and turned regularly 

18/04/2014 at 06:12
I earth up/mulch my spuds with grass clippings - makes for easy harvesting. The nitrogen helps as does the acidic nature. Do not use if the grass has been fed or if it it has been allowed to flower.
Lyn
18/04/2014 at 07:49

I agree with verdun, too much nitrogen will produce more green plants than flowers and the acidity wont help the brasicca beds surely, i had to lime mine because the soil is acid.

We try to cut the lawns very regularly, the mower mulches and we dont pick up.  No good for first cuts though, some in compost bins, some to council tip.

18/04/2014 at 14:41

Thank you everyone. It will be the compost heap with cardboard & other bits in a stew!

18/04/2014 at 16:09

In the trenches with the spuds.  The acidity helps prevent scab and the nitrogen makes them grow.  As well as compost, of course.

Lyn
18/04/2014 at 18:31

Its ok in trenches for veg, best on the compost to allow it to rot down a bit, then use the compost as mulch. I only put a couple of inches in the compost bins at a time and fork it in a bit.

18/04/2014 at 18:42
With two large lawns back and front there's far too much grass for the compost bin, so some goes in there and the rest into a special compost bin we pay the local Council ??30.00 to hire. It gets empied weekly.
18/04/2014 at 21:11

I also have a large lawn with too much grass for the compost heap. Like Silver Surfer I compost some mixed with cardboard etc, the rest goes in my green composting bin that the council collects. I'm a little jealous - mine's emptied fortnightly. I also use a mulcher mower on some parts of the garden so that the grass is cut into very small pieces and isn't collected in a bag but is returned to the ground and feeds the grass. I only do this in areas that are not walked on so regularly otherwise my wife isn't impressed when I tread grass cuttings into the house.

19/04/2014 at 12:46

Here in Ontario it is recommended to leave grass cuttings on the lawn as they will rot and feed the lawn.If you must put them in your compost then let them dry out and turn brown before composting.Green grass in a compost stinks.

Bill

22/04/2014 at 18:06

Only if it's not mixed with other stuff, Bill.  They make a great activator for the weeds, leaves, cardboard etc.  But large quantitites on their own - yes indeed!

23/04/2014 at 16:05

.I put thin layers of it mixed with shredded cardboard and paper in the compost bins. The rest I use as mulch under fruit trees around shade plants.I also spread it in between the ferns in the 'fern corner' in a shady area. It  helps stops cow parsley, elder and  the nettle patch from taking over the garden. Two of my neighbours help by giving me their grass too and it saves them having to send it to the council.

email image
19 messages