Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What do you think this is?

Does anyone know what this is? I've looked on the internet and am worried it's Japanese knotweed (noooooooo!) as it has hollow bamboo like stems but it's not particularly fast growing (cut it back 2wks ago and it hasn't really grown back). It also stayed looking pretty much like this over winter.  I've attached a close up of the leaves if that helps?  Thanks!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Himalayan honeysuckle aka Leycesteria formosa.

• Yep definitely a Himilayan honeysuckle, I love them image, don't worry it's not Japanese knotweed!

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,657

Yep its formosa- flowering nutmeg. I've got one they're so pretty in flower.

• Thank you all for replying- I was quite worried for a while but feel much better now!

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Oh Kate I really felt for you there -  my heart sinks at the very thought - thank goodness.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 811

There is one of these in my neighbours garden, it's very pretty, can you take soft wood cuttings from them in the same way as you would Fushias? thanks

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

No, Japenese knotweed are never that colour. image

• KezzaKezza Posts: 90

Definitely Leycesteria.

I brought one from my last property, and it stands at 5 foot high, beautiful pink and white bunches of flowers.

Enjoy it !  image

NB:  I've just taken some soft wood cuttings, non-flowering.  I've just shoved a few in a pot of multi-purpose compost and will leave them there til they root / show signs of growth.  Saves my sister ripping bits off my plant when she visits !!!!  image

• glenaftonglenafton Posts: 3
    Whew, I was a bit worried then as I've just bought one. So pleased to find it's not JK