London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
6 messages
08/07/2012 at 14:19

Hi,

I was just reading an article in the RHS mag that said magnesium deficiency causing yellowing leaves etc, can be caused by over use of nitrogen feeds such as tomato feed as potassium competes with magnesium for uptake by plants.

I use as much home made compost on my garden as i can get, tomato feed on toms, and a nettle feed (every few weeks or so- well watered down) & pelleted chicken manure (occasionally) as a general feed for all flowering plants, fruit and veg. I also have quite a few ferns and hostas.

Is there a gernal rule of thumb with regard to what feeds to use and for which plant? are soem feeds better suited to foliage plants and others flowering or fruiting plants?

All this has really made me wonder if i'm doing the right thing.I'd really appreciate some straightforward advice.

many thanks in advance

08/07/2012 at 14:32

Nitrogen-rich feeds such as chicken pellets are best for plants where the leaves are the main focus such as grass, hedges or hostas.

Potassium-rich feeds such as tomato food are good for fruiting and flowering plants.

Balanced feeds such as Growmore (NPK 7:7:7) are a good feed for all plants.

Look out for plant foods that include trace elements and include those occasionally to give plants a boost.

Having said that, none of them will actively harm a plant unless you over-feed.

08/07/2012 at 22:02

Many thanks for this, especially as i now know what i need to get the most from the hostas!

Thank you

09/07/2012 at 11:37

Been feeding our hostas with organic pelleted chicken fertiliser for years, it really is good for them.  In fact, thw whole garden gets a shower of that in April or thereabouts.  I use specific fertilisers for s few things, such as clematis which are permanenetly hungry, tomatoes, their feed is good for most flowers, and grass feed for when it is not being washed out of the ground, or deep yellow from drought, depending whaich year we are talking about!  For a general boost for anything that looks hungry, I use liquid seaweed diluted according to the plant - also good for indoor plants as well.  Also used for hanging baskets, and floral containers, especially this year when they are having all the nutrients washed out of them with the rain. 

09/07/2012 at 11:51

Try chicken pellets on your grass, Bookertoo - I once spilled a tub on mine. Three days later that patch was a positively virulent green

10/07/2012 at 08:14

great tips- many thanks

email image
6 messages