London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 16°C
4 messages
29/07/2012 at 18:12

I have been out to the garden and found that something has eaten my Lupin.  Can anyone advise?

I do want to protect the rest of the lupins from the same fate!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10360.jpg?width=528&height=350&mode=max

29/07/2012 at 18:15

That would be snail damage -they climb up the stem-have had similar damage and caught them at it-if you go out after dark you may find them on the plant-use whatever you like to deter

29/07/2012 at 21:51

I agree. Almost certainly slugs or snails.  I lost all my delphiniums one year to the little beggars.  I try to be organic, but there isn't really a good solution.  The so-called organic slug repellants are starting to get a few negative comments in the organic press.  I've tried and still try dried coffee grounds and ash from the wood burning stove but they seem to clamber over it regardless.  I've picked them up by hand at dusk, but their siblings are always waiting in the wings.  I've resorted to the 'organic' slug pellets out of desperation, because I can't bear to see my lovingly-cultivated plants disappear overnight due to molluscs.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.

30/07/2012 at 15:23

I use "Growing Success" slug pellets from B&Q. Always seem to work a treat. Had the same problem with one of my Lupins..., sprinkled the pellets  over the plant (the label tells you not to but the git(s) had obviously climed up the stem) and a couple of weeks later all is well again.

email image
4 messages