Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What is eating my foxglove?

Hi,

The picture below used to be a foxglove. Two, close by, but in different beds have been munched. Nothing else has been touched. Is there anything that targets Foxgloves?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Looks slug/snail to me.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • heron bheron b Posts: 6

I have one that looks like that and I think it may be rabbits although I haven't seen them munching on it.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Any wood pigeons around?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• MowmymossMowmymoss Posts: 46

I am too urban for rabbits but there are plenty of wood pigeons. 

What I find strange is that it is only the foxglove that has been attacked.

Wood pigeons in gardens seem to focus on one or two plants that they can tear the leaves of, and young foxglove leaves are very tearable - that looks just like the damage wood pigeons do to broccoli and fields of oilseed rape. 

Hang some old DVDs or bits of silver foil or plastic streamers from canes around them for a while - it won't look pretty but the wood pigeons will move on to something else.  

They've taken the growing tip out of that foxglove, but it will send up some flowering spikes from sideshoots, so all is not lost. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• franco6832franco6832 Posts: 105

i think its caterpillar damage. they are green in colour and look the same colour as the leaves.  if u inspect the leaves closely u might find the culprits. try looking at the underside of the leaves.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

I've got quite a few foxgloves around the garden, one of mine looks simular to  that pic. We have 3 fat wood pidgeons in our garden, might have a go at your suggestion Dove. Tho I hope they don't attack anything else!!

Probably a combined attack - they gang up on us you know image

Found a third that has been got. It is near to the other two.. This one is a self seeded one in my bin store so it will be protected from pigeons. Something crawly is looking the favourite. Off out now so will hunt from caterpillars etc later. 

Is this a slugs calling card? What looks like poo just above a leaf joint?