London (change)
Thu 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
7 messages
06/04/2012 at 08:26
06/04/2012 at 08:33
Lost my text I think! It's been going brown since the end of last summer. I cut off all the dead leaves from the bottom. What can I do next? http://i39.tinypic.com/t6yz4x.jpg
06/04/2012 at 15:24

It looks like it might be a member of the cordyline family?  If so, they're native to NZ and although do ok in mild winters don't cope very well with the cold winters we can get.  I can't offer any care advice unfortunately, but hopefully have helped with identifying it!

06/04/2012 at 17:27
Yes it does look like a cordyline. Things is we've been here 4 years and it doesn't seem to be growing tall like a tree. Could it be something else?
06/04/2012 at 17:58

I think it's only certain varieties that grow taller, such as the cabbage tree.  I know mum had a red one (but lost it the year before last over the winter) that she'd had for a few years and was about the same height as the one you have there, maybe a bit shorter.  Hope its ok, they're lovely plants and that one looks really striking in the middle of your lawn.

07/04/2012 at 07:08
Yeah I can imagine it being a nightmare to remove too. Do you think I should remove all the leaves with any brown on? I read that if you cut it right back it will produce new shoots so there's some hope there.
07/04/2012 at 21:17

I don't think it would do any harm.  I have a dracaena houseplant which is also a palm-type plant and as the leaves die off I just pick them off and throw them out - they always tend to be near the bottom like yours, so it could be just older growth that's dying off.  Might be worth giving it a feed of some kind once there's a bit of heat in the air.  Let me know how you get on!   

email image
7 messages