London (change)
Mon 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 7°C
15 messages
12/05/2013 at 14:37

please help we have moved into our first home and half the confifers are dead and have this vine kind of thing growing on it. it appears to be rife in neighbours gardens and could do with some help in firstly identifying it and then some help on how i can get rid of t as we are going to be cutting all he conifers down this week and planting a new hedge and really dont want it to succomb to the same end

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23409.jpeg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23410.jpeg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23411.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

12/05/2013 at 14:49

Ivy by the look of it

It is not killing anything

You can try digging it out or spraying with weed killer-but you will have to be persistent.

12/05/2013 at 14:57

I am only assuming that as its growing over three of my conifers and these three conifers now have nothing but a trunk and no foliage left what so ever , yet the others in the row that dont have it growing on it still are bushy and with a foliage

12/05/2013 at 15:02

The previous owner has cut the conifers back-they seldom resprout-the ivy then moves it but it does not kill plants on its own

Why are you pics on their side?-makes viewing so awkward

12/05/2013 at 15:04

Personally I would wait and make sure all of your weeds have gone before planting anything else.  The confiers may have died as they are greedy plants, and will take all of the moisture and nutrients from the soil.  If you have poor soil it may account for the conifers not surviving.

You need to know if the plant that is rife in your neighbour's gardens is something they've cultivated, it does look like ivy (I think the leaves are too big for it to be bindweed).  You don't want to get off on the wrong foot witlh the neighbours by killing anything they're culitvating!

If the neighbours regard it as a pest, then I'd use weedkiller to try and get rid of it, a weed is just a plant in the wrong place.  If it's something that they've cultivated, do not use weedkiller on it, just cut any off that comes over on to your side, and put it in the green bin if you have one, don't put it in the compost bin, it will just sprerad around your garden when you use the compost!

You need to know what type of soil you have, and how rich it is before planting anything else, otherwise you may well just be wasting your money.  The soil will need enriching to put back any nutrients taken away by the conifers.  By all means, remove the conifers, but you may want to think about putting in a fence rather than a hedge, until you have sorted out the soil.  Please don't just take out the conifers and leave no boundary - good fences make for good neighbours.

12/05/2013 at 15:07

It looks like Russian Vine/Mile a Minute Vine Fallopia baldschuanica - it is a thug but it can be beaten - pull it down from the trees and fencing etc, cut it down to about 18 inches from the ground and destroy all the branches (brown bin, or burn or something similar or they will all grow again.  

Then, when the stumps grow new shoots and leaves (it won't take long) spray or paint with SBK Brushwood killer or glyphosate - keep doing it until it dies off - it may take 12 months - and then dig the roots out getting out as much as you can.

You will always have to keep an eye open for it popping up again, especially if it is running rife in the neighbourhood, but don't worry, you'll get good at recognising it.  

When we moved here 18 months ago it was right up into the tops of the ash trees and the eaves of the house (along with the ivy) but it's not there now 

Good luck and enjoy your new garden 

12/05/2013 at 15:16

The pictures are on there side as i am as rubbish with computers as i am gardening. We have a fence behing the trees so we are fine once the trees are removed. The lady at the back of us isnt cultivating it as when i was trying to cut it down she was talking to me about it being a losing battle as they cant seem to get rid of it and that it comes back every year s dont think she would mind me putting a weed killer on. My only concern with this is that nothing else would then grow in te soil, our soil is not great any way as=nd is really clay like which isnt ideal, am hoping something like laurel would survive as really want a high hedge to get back the privacy

12/05/2013 at 15:29

Most modern weedkillers kill the plant -without damaging the soil -look for a glyphosate based product-but do not expect overnight results

12/05/2013 at 15:42

Thats brilliant thankyou for all your help

12/05/2013 at 15:53

I would definitely improve the soil first.  I know that privacy is important, but is there any way you could remove the conifers (the dead ones at least), and put something cheap & cheerful in place?  I think willow screening is reasonably priced, and would allow you to improve the soil by digging in a mixture of sharp sand (to improve the drainage) and horse manure, preferably well rotted stuff, to improve the structure and the nutrient content of the soil.  You also need to know what the pH of the soil is (how acidic or alkaline it is), as this will dictate to a fair extent what will grow happily.  Look what other people in the area are growing, this will give you an indication of what else you can grow.

Rather than risk failure which will put you off gardening for life, I would wait, get rid of as much of the weed as you can (keep putting weedkiller on, it will eventually get the message and die), improve the soil and wait.  Patience is a virtue that gardeners cultivate along with their plants.

12/05/2013 at 16:04

How long do you normally wait for your soil to improve, if i add the fertilizer and the sand how far would i then leae it before i would start to plant

12/05/2013 at 17:52

Fertiliser feeds the plants so it is immediately available to any plant. However if the conifers have been in for some time and it looks that way, then they will have taken out an awful lot of the goodness in the soil. The only way to put that back is to add humus, that is compost, well rotted animal manure, leaf mould or any of the proprietary soil conditioners sold by the bag load in Garden centres.

Without this kind of material the fertliser will just wash out of the soil as there will be little in there to hold on to it.

Sorry, but in gardening there are very few quick fits, despite the Make over programmes on TV promising instant results.

13/05/2013 at 12:33

I would say it is ivy also, I grew russian vine to cover the car-port, russian vine flowers are white.

If it is ivy then it re-shoots very easily.  mind you though its a great plant for wildlife especially birds.

Conifers when hacked back to bare wood don't regrow anyway so I would suggest that the death of these is because of over-pruning rather than the ivy.  My parents have ivy growing in their garden for the past 30+ years and it hasn't killed a mature tree yet.

Personally Id dig it out if it comes back then spray, if their plant dies you can say you were killing weeds in your own garden and didn't know it came through from them.  Anway, you said it was rife in their garden so they probably wont noice anyway should their plant die.

VP.

13/05/2013 at 19:24

thankyou every one, i am not as concerned now if its ivy andwont kill things then that is fine as it can look quite nice was just concerned about planting a new hedge once the conifers were gone. Thankyou for all your help really appreciate it

13/05/2013 at 21:04

I think mile a minute - easy to cut back and contain if you are persistent!  Doesn't kill trees, just grows around them 

email image
15 messages