Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What is wrong with my sedum

What are the brown patches?  They were not there when I bought it a few weeks ago, it has had water when there has been no rain. Ignore the white marks - I think they are from the garden centre watering it with a hose, also ignore the sticks at the bottom, they are to keep the cats off

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Not sure about this but I wonder if it is snail's/ slugs  as they  go for fleshy leaves.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Just a thought  , do you have any grit around your plant .snails don't like this.but I use egg shells crunched up .I leave them in the bottom of the ovan.

I have known others dry them in a microwave.

• LunarJimLunarJim Posts: 56

Are the brown patches something they are leaving behind? image  There are a few holes on my other sedum beside this one but no brown patches.  I thought it was some illness as my new plants seem to get everything going!

Thanks for any info.

• It could well be a fungal attack, maybe caused by too much water/rain. They have fleshy stems which store water, so if they are exposed to too much surplus water they can be susceptible to botrytis and powdery mildew.
  • flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

I think your right potsandpansies, this happened to my lupins when we had the hot weather and I think I over watered it image

Thanks for your answers.  I didn't water it from overhead, just at the base.  The white hard water marks were already there when I got it a few weeks ago.  The wetter weather started as soon as I planted it so I've only watered it a couple of times.

It might not like our clay soil, perhaps I'll replant in the winter with grit under it.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Clay soil is a problem for sedums Jim. I have clay soil and have grown sedums in several gardens but always improve the soil with lots of grit and compost. The combination of heavy clay and too much water doesn't suit them very well. You'd be as well to lift it now, add some extra grit and compost and replant. Go easy on the watering too once you've watered in initially. They're very forgiving plants so it shouldn't be an issue to do that. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Actually I'll need to check with my husband if it had grit at the bottom.  We've been adding rotted stable manure to improve the soil but need to keep adding more I think.  I'm not sure what the garden centre did although it is well regarded round here.  We are having aphid and mildew problems on my climbers (clematis and honeysuckle) but it didn't occur to me that the brown marks might be the same thing.  I'll try and lift it soon if it didn't have grit even though it is flowering.

My name's not Jim by the way, it's a small children's programme that my two watch.  You can still call me that though!