Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What to do with a Datura

Anyone got an experience of loking after a Datura??  I've been given one, its in my conservatory, in a pot and its about 3' tall

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

Datura or Brugmansia ?

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I think it's the same but name changed. I overwintered mine in GH and lost it.

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

I think Brugmansia flowers hang down Datura are upright.Brugmansia fairly easy to overwinter in GH.Cuttings easy, Brugmansia very fragrant, plant poisonous.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Assuming it is the perennial brugmansia formerly called  datura,keep it  frost free and on the dry side. Cut it down to about a foot in spring, water and feed regularly with tomato food.  I cut branches off and stand in a coffee jar of water in the kitchen window. When they have  made plenty of white roots, I pot them up for new plants.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Datura and a Brug are different:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2176/

I know little about Datura but I can advise overwintering Brug's

blairs, I've learned something else. Interesting article, but don't know which I had as it was quite a  few yrs ago.

Hope you're right Verdun. I was so pleased that I thought I knew something.image