London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
7 messages
14/10/2012 at 18:15
Hi I'm new to gardening and thought, being Autumn I would tidy up our over grown Cotinus or purple smoke bush ready for winter. I've cut it back so the branches are 30cms from the stem. I'm used to seeing my Mum pruning roses and treated it the same. My boyfriend now tells me I've most likely killed it! Looking on-line a hard pruning is ok but normally done in the spring. By doing it in mid October have I ruined a lovely looking bush. Feeling quite bad about this so hoping next spring I'll have a pretty bush again. Any advise on its chances would be appreciated. Thanks, Rebecca.
14/10/2012 at 18:35

Seeing as you have asked the question twice-relax- they are tough bushes and respond well to hard pruning-you are unlikely to have killed it

Chances are it will survive and flourish

14/10/2012 at 20:05
Rebecca, You have nothing to worry about. I cut my cotinus hard back every year at this time of the year. Ive yet to do it so far this year but will do so over the next 4 weeks. You will have bigger and better foliage next year because of it. So. Relax, ok?
14/10/2012 at 21:57
Oh good! Thank you!
14/10/2012 at 21:59
Great thanks.
15/10/2012 at 12:47

It will survive well, mine gets cut back this month. If very hard you may not get 'smoke' next year, the year I did that I loved it as the colour of the leaves was stunning.  This year it did have smoko, and is now ready for the chop.  There is a good RHS book on pruning,  you might get it from your public library? Takes all the mystique out of it tetty well.

15/10/2012 at 19:55
Ok thanks - think I need to invest in a guide book or two! Glad you think it will be fine! Phew! Was feeling a bit guilty! Cheers.
email image
7 messages