Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What Would You Do Next?

Hello,

This weekend I finally got my raised bed built and filled it with some soil from work and worked in some manure and a little bag of John Inees no.3 into the top layer. However there wasn't really enough soil so there is still some space to fill.

I know the best thing to use is Garden Compost but the stuff in my compost bin hasn't rotted down enough and isn't usable. What would you top it up with if you were me?
I do have 2 bags of 75l multi purpose compost but I'm not really sure whether that would be a good idea or not seeing as it dries out quickly!

Any suggestions are welcome!

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I would add some Multi purpose compost and possibly some sand/grit for drainage image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Yep, MP will be fine - just mix it in well.  I add some to all of my raised beds if they need a top-up and I've no home-made to hand.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Can't argue with that image

I've topped some of mine up already NG and will save my homemade stuff for later.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Oooh I might try that then, I was unsure seeing as it dries out after a few months. 
    The soil is rather free draining with stones for drainage so hopefully it should all be okay.
    Does it matter if the level is a bit lower than the top of the bed? 

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

What will you be planting in it ngcards? I filled mine up and then planted potatoes....meaning I ended up taking a good layer off in order to get the troughs right!  Looks great. 

• I'm not entirely sure yet, so far I have some Spring Onion and Leek Seedling in my GH but haven't really thought about what else. My Gdad grows a lot of Veg himself so it's pointless me growing the same as him as it'l go to waste lol 

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

What about some beetroot? Really easy (even I have managed to get some seeds to germinate!) and maybe some carrots - yummy! You'll be in competition with your gd in no time!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Herbs grow well in well-drained raised beds.  I love basil and grow 6 types in one of mine.

Check what gramps is growing and choose something else - I tend to go for stuff which is expensive or not available in the shops. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I think I have some seeds of Beetroot and Carrots that I got free with a magazine a bit ago so might give them a try! 

The only things he doesn't grow really are Spring Onions and Leeks lol May just have to try different varieties of other veggies to him I think!
    I've also got some Nasturtiums growing in the GH as I heard they were good for veg beds when it comes to pests image

• Hello - grow what you love to eat and what isn't cheap as chips in shops already.  For example - garlic is easy to grow, really useful and you'll get your money back in no time.  You can plant it in the spring and autumn so it's just the right time now.  French beans and runners are great too and you can freeze any surplus.

Also, if you can be bothered to take a layer of soil out temporarily, you can always put some of your own compost that's not ready yet underneath then put your soil back on top of it (don't mix it - leave it as a layer) - by the time your veg roots have reached down it will have rotted nicely.

Enjoy!