London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
15 messages
02/09/2013 at 14:36

Hi,

Apologies if a simialr post ahs already been replied to... I have searched the site and cannot find a similar question though.

In my front garden a lilac (I think, leaf on left of pic) and several shrubs- I

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30415.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

think hebes. Both of these have a great deal of leaf damage, mostly circular or semi-circuar bits eaten out at the edges. Any idea what causes this and if theere's anything I can do about it?

02/09/2013 at 15:14

Hi, Could be a leaf cutter bee.

02/09/2013 at 15:45

The leaf on the left looks more like VIne Weevil damage. Leaf cutter Bee leave large round cuts, Vine weevil smaller notched damage. It could be Caterpiller damage, if you can see little poops on lower leaves or see Catterpillers then it is them, if not it is Vine Weevil and you need to treat for them.

02/09/2013 at 15:59

Oh dear. 

I had noticed this before and assumed it was leaf cutter bees and that no harm would be done, but this year have noticed several plants failing to thrive/ flower so suspected it could be something else. 

Thanks for the suggestions

02/09/2013 at 16:18

Provado is good - takes a month to work but kills Vine Weevil. I have lost plants to the blighters!

02/09/2013 at 16:37

Is that the Provado that kills bees or is it another kind?

02/09/2013 at 18:30

Provado vine weevil killer 2 contains thiacloprid.  A safer and bee-friendly alternative are Nemasys vine weevil nematodes - usually about 8 to 10 quid for enough for 160 pots or 12sq metres.

02/09/2013 at 22:14

How do you use Provado ? Years ago I used a vine weevil killer . A small amount was mixed with water  and watered into the roots . This stuff was a white granuals sort of thing you used a measure which was thimble size to 7 ltrs of water . such as this I dont think would harm other insects . the intention was to kill the grubs which would be on the roots. The grubs are fat and about half inch long and a brownish dot on the end.

02/09/2013 at 23:12

It is a liquid which you dilute.  There is information about neonicotinoids like these at the Soil Association site:

http://www.soilassociation.org/wildlife/bees/householdpesticides

These chemicals are taken up by the plants and can end up in the nectar and pollen.  While I'm yet to be convinced about the effects on bees (and us of course, if we use these chemicals on fruit & veg which the instructions say not to do), I would sooner play safe than sorry.  The nematodes are safe for use on food crops and cost only a tiny bit more than the Provado.

03/09/2013 at 06:51

I used nematodes last year to deal with a bad infestation of vine weevils on primulas and shrubs on The Shady Bank - we applied as per directions on the pack.

I was all prepared to do it again this year, but I've not seen any sign of vine weevil damage this year at all 

22/09/2013 at 14:57

Many thanks for the advice Dove, Bob and everyone.

I've had a another look, have spotted a few vine weevils so it must be them. Alongside the bed the above pants are in, is my neighbours privet which is about 2 metres high and a good 3 or 4 in length- all chewed in a similar way, so there must be loads of them. Dove, are the nematodes suitable for using in the ground? Much of the vine weevil treatments/ advice, seem to be about using on pots.

22/09/2013 at 15:07

Yes, we mixed up several wateringcans full and watered them into the bank which is about 2m x 12m.

We bought it online from Amazon - the soil has to be at the right temperature to do it, so I's wait until next spring/early summer now.

22/09/2013 at 21:32

Greaat- many thanks

23/09/2013 at 00:14

I would use Provado now.....to kill the weevils.  However, next spring and thereafter use nematodes. ,you can't really mix both treatments but in this case and 6 months apart will be ok.  Otherwise the weevils will increase over the autumn etc

23/09/2013 at 08:56

ah, thank you. Must admit, i was very concerned about there being such large numbers and possible need for repeat treatments.

email image
15 messages