Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What's eating my beans

I Autumn planted some broad beans and they are doing well. I Spring planted more and after a day or so was left with holes and no beans. I planted again, but in pots in the tunnel. These germinated and when the shoots were about two inches high, I planted them out. After two days, all the shoots have been snipped off and left, the beans and roots have been taken, leaving the same little holes about 2cm across.

i am fearful for my runners!

Any ideas who is the thief and how can I protect them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Mice

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I had the same problem, I also think it was mice. Hopefully eradicated the problem and broad beans now doing well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed with my peas.

• EnkayEnkay Posts: 17

Thanks Chrissy the gardener. How did you fix the problem.?

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

We share our garden with lots of mice - too many to eradicate!  We have found that beans and peas are safe if you leave them to get bigger before planting out - it is the young tender shoots they love.  So we leave it til 3 or 4 pairs of leaves have appeared.  Have also used holly branch prunings to crisscross the area - they don't like getting their noses prickedimage

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

start the beans in module pots and transplant once they get about 6-8cm tall, that way the mice can't nick and nibble the seeds

• The mice I eradicated where in the greenhouse so where feeding and dislodging seedlings as the plants germinated. Very, very annoying .