Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

I used to find snails in previous years, this year I can't see what's been doing this so I don't know how to protect them...

Hi Tinpot

It doesn't look as though anyone has an answer. I have an allotment which hopefully will be a place where I can find peace and quiet and it is virtually private. When I went over there yesterday I found the same holes in a lot of my plants.  i.e. geraniums, fatsia and many others. (I am only growing flowers and shrubs).  I know it's not slugs or snails and don't think it could be any type of bird as they have ample food in the feeders. It was too cold to go there today so don't know if the damage has continued. Will keep a lookout for any pests and maybe spray them. 

Maybe someone will pick up on this and have an answer.

Hope your garden soon becomes your place to be.

Fairygirl

Caterpillars by the look of it, on the bottom plant, plus some slug/snail damage, and possibly birds, for the  flowers - pigeons,in particular,  eat a lot of flowers and so do sparrows. 

Good Morning Fairy Girl

I have never seen a caterpillar on my allotment although my Canna looks as though they may have been feasting on that. Are you likely to see them or are they carefully hiding somewhere? Have plenty of sparrows on the feeders but haven't seen any pigeons. Obviously not there 24/7 so could be the birds.

Maybe the answer will become apparent in time.

Many thanks

Thanks all.

As it happens I found a chunky grey caterpillar amongst them this morning, so he's into the lawn now.