London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
20 messages
19/06/2012 at 14:10

Hi something is eating my runner bean leaves and having a real good feast on them... I thought at first its snails or slugs so put slug pellits down but they still seem to be eaten, even the really small leaves that are well over a foot off the round....4 out of 7 plants are still growing but they have all been eaten....

any ideas anybody as to what is eating the and what can I do ..Please !!!

I have thought of putting some white fleecey stuff over the to prevent what ever is eating them getting to them but then they wouldn't get any light..

19/06/2012 at 14:20

I appreciate you have dismissed  slugs or snails but they are usually the culprit and snails will climb up the sticks-go out after dark with a torch and I think you will find something munching.

When you say you have used slug pellets have you renewed them after rain -are they scattered about and not in piles?

19/06/2012 at 15:10

slugs and snails has eaten all mine in the garden. Its bean a total disaster!!!

The ones down the allotment are fairing slightly better - ie they are still there but not looking happy 

19/06/2012 at 16:46

Little blitters hey... I have scattered the pellets all around them......silly question but will they still produce beans.....I now hope that the 'little darlings' get an attack of vertigo soon....
Thanks for your help

19/06/2012 at 16:56

If they survive- then yes- you will still get beans- it is not too late to sow some more now -obviously a bit later to flower etc, but saves a glut

19/06/2012 at 22:24

This year, as well as using garlic wash on my Hostas I've used it on other stuff which slugs/snails like beans, dahlias etc. They're not perfect but better than they've been before - as I don't use slug pellets

23/09/2012 at 09:20

You would see some slime trails on the remaining leaves if it were slugs and snails.  

15/05/2014 at 06:33

im having the same problem .. 

15/05/2014 at 06:37

ive have tried pellets they don't work,think i will bring them in till they can cope,on there own,i have so many slugs n snails its an endless game to get rid.need solutions like,some1 mentioned to me,use vaseline at the edge of the pots or sticks used to support,but ive tried everything nothing works,i can grow anything,but not them.

15/05/2014 at 07:06

I had that problem last year too going to be a bottle trench this time with any thing I can get my hands on sheep wool horse hair,crushed shells,to name a few good luck with yours

23/05/2014 at 19:39

IT COULD BE SLUGS AND SNAILS, BUT I THINK IT COULD ALSO BE CATERPILLARS

RGARDS  BAZ

KEF
23/05/2014 at 20:07

If the stems are also chomped maybe slugs / snails, mine have tattered leaves and that's pigeons. So netting or sticks around to stop them getting at them.

23/05/2014 at 21:54

I had a problem, my bean leaves were being eaten up to chest high - it was deer! Could it be rabbits? My veggie garden now has a high fence.

24/05/2014 at 07:58

Last night I watched a slug chomping the top of one of my broad beans. It chomped through the top 3" of stem..... .. TIMBER! 

24/05/2014 at 08:10

Someone's done that to my tallest sunflower - it didn't climb up from the ground 'cos I'd surrounded it with coarse sand - it climbed down from the pear tree 

24/05/2014 at 08:26

You have to give them 10 out of 10 for perseverance. How long would it take to get UP the pear tree in the first place 

24/05/2014 at 11:18

We have to be aware that slug pellets actually attract slugs it is a fine line between destroying them and guiding them to the plants that we want to protect.

05/06/2014 at 20:23

carol wood

my beans and sunflowers appear to be attacked and shredded at night. I have tried crushed egg shells, because snails dont like uneven surfaces, but still it goes on.

06/06/2014 at 14:59

Mine are suffering from minor rabbit or mouse attack at the moment!  What also usually happens is that I can forget the beans that are less than say a foot off the ground as something always has a nibble at those - definately mice or rabbits or, on the odd occasion, an escaped hen!

09/06/2014 at 12:55

I started mine in pots in the greenhouse, half were eaten ( on 10 day holiday) on my return. Noticed a nibbled pack of sweet corn seeds nearby had been eaten, including packet, so concluded it was a hungry mouse! 

New seeds planted in ground and surviving plants transplanted. Next attack came. Have used bird scare tape, slug pellets but now have cut holly and placed it round the plants,3 days on, so far so good.

email image
20 messages