London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
6 messages
09/04/2012 at 09:06

At this time of year I see hundreds of walls decorated with beautiful flowering aubrietas - and am very jealous.

I have tried growing them to trail down dry stone walls in a number of locations in our garden - they start as lovely bushy plants from the garden centre, but by the summer they are either dead, or consist of long brown stems with a couple of leaves still growing at the end.  It almost looks like something is eating any leaves that are trying to emerge along the stem.

I have tried in sun and shade.  We have acid soil.

Has anyone any ideas?

09/04/2012 at 10:10

Hello,

I've got some Aubrietas for the first time this year, they are still flowering brillantely at the moment.

I have read that after they have finished flowering you should cut them back quite hard which will encourgage further bushy growth & maybe a second flowering.

Maybe try this & see what happens?

09/04/2012 at 13:10

They only flower in the spring and like meiow said after flowering you need to cut right back and they come into life again  next spring.

13/06/2012 at 22:20
13/06/2012 at 23:26

Could be snails, I have given up with aubretia because I just couldn't keep up with the control of them even though I think I was doing everything else right.

19/06/2012 at 21:19

my mother told me aubretia dont like their heart wet. Which makes sense they like nothing better than being in a wall or as my neighbour has them in a raised gravel bed, which all say free drainage

email image
6 messages