London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
19 messages
14/09/2013 at 16:03

Hi,

We moved into our place just over a year ago and inherited a very well established garden with a number of conifers at the bottom of the garden. Over the summer one of the smaller conifers, in fact, the smaller part of one much larger conifer started to go brown and now its gone completely brown with smaller brown patches spreading to the one behind it and two of the others.

I have done a lot of research on this and I am none the wider.

According to various sources it could be aphids, but then it could be root fungus or having checked with our local garden centre they think its not getting enough water. So I am none the wiser and I don't know what to do about it. If it could spread then I need to sort it out sooner rather than later as I don't want it to affect the others.

I wonder if anyone on the forum might know what this is as I a little confused and a little stuck.

I include a few pictures that may help.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31061.jpg?width=800&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31062.jpg?width=800&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31060.jpg?width=350

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Rob

14/09/2013 at 16:05

Hi Rob, It's dead or dying, things are quite crowded there. I'd have it out and give the others space. As to why, I don't know

14/09/2013 at 16:05

Oops, typo wider = wiser

Also, not only identifying what it is, but what needs to be done. Do we need to cut out and remove the affected part and/or use insecticide.

Thank you.

14/09/2013 at 16:06

Okay, thank you nutcutlet.

14/09/2013 at 16:09

Don't use insecticide randomly, it kills everything, not just aphids. If you can't see any aphids they're not there.

14/09/2013 at 16:16

Think it's phytopthora.  Did it happen fairly rapidly?  I had this on a juniper, photinia and chamaecyparis all in one part of the garden. Its a fungal disease affecting many woody plants. rwassell, I suggest you dig up this comifer ASAP and keep an eye on the others there.

Why do you think it's a lack of water?   Is if in a very dry spot?  Did the browning occur on one side first then spread around the tree?  I don't think it is about being dry

14/09/2013 at 16:27

Hi Verdun,

Yes, it happened just over the summer, was fine and healthy before that. Its also the fact that its spreading to others that made us think it was something that could spread.

Lack of water didn't even occur to us, its something the garden centre said. Not sure we agree with that though, your explanation sounds more plausible. Thank you.

Rob

14/09/2013 at 16:50

I've cut my conifer headge back quit hard this year oops will it come back or do I have to spray it green LOL

14/09/2013 at 17:43

Clueless, as lomg as you didn't go beyond green shoots ??ou should be fine.  

14/09/2013 at 18:00

OOps then it's out with the green shed paint then 

I have some green left on it so we will have to see

James

15/09/2013 at 18:00

I had this on one of my conifers (same type) a couple of months age, I have three different types quite close together, but the other two are fine.  I shape them normally, but I left this one and now it's started to grow back green again, I don't know whether it was lack of water (it was just after the VERY hot weather, or what, but it's still got life in it and quite a bit of green now, and the other two are not affected, so I will see how it goes.  

15/09/2013 at 18:31

That's interesting. Thanks, will monitor now the hot weather has gone and we're getting more rain.

15/09/2013 at 20:35

Sorry, don't think your comifer will recover rwassell.  It's very rare for most conifers to become green again.  Use the autumn to get rid of it and plant something herbaceous there.

16/09/2013 at 08:15

Hi Verdun,

Yes, it happened just over the summer, was fine and healthy before that. Its also the fact that its spreading to others that made us think it was something that could spread.

Lack of water didn't even occur to us, its something the garden centre said. Not sure we agree with that though, your explanation sounds more plausible. Thank you.

Rob

16/09/2013 at 12:40

I had the same problem with a 25 foot conifer in my garden over the space of two weeks it completely died. it is definitely a disease or fungus that is killing it i imagine it to be honey fungus due to how quickly it died. My advice would be to take it out dig the stump out to stop the disease spreading. Mid way through october you may see some fruiting bodies from the fungus start to appear which will make the identifying the disease much easier.

16/09/2013 at 12:44

@clueless Gardener, unless you conifer is a Thuja its game over. you can identify this tree by grinding some of the leaf in your hand if it has a citrusy smell you may be in luck but will be a very slow regeneration period 

16/09/2013 at 13:44

There is a disease here in France (Pine or Needle blight)  that is killing pine trees and it's caused by a small bug.  The effected trees die very quickly especially if the summer has been dry. One of our neighbours has lost a couple of trees with more looking like they may have it and another neigbour has completly lost his cyprus hedge, it also looks like some of our trees have it too.

16/09/2013 at 13:57

Still think its phytopthora.  

30/09/2013 at 12:15

That's interesting. Thanks, will monitor now the hot weather has gone and we're getting more rain.

email image
19 messages