London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
17 messages
21/10/2012 at 22:55

We live on a fairly new housing development & the builders planted escallonia hedging between all of the houses, 1-6 years ago & a lot of them now look quite scruffy (& similar in size). Don't know the type (cheapest??!!) they're very dark pinky/red. Ours were planted 2 years ago. 

Early this spring neighbour to the right mentioned how untidy it was (he didn't particularly want it anyway, but we prefer a boundary) so I pruned it quite hard.  It hasn't flowered this year. On the left side we left it, it flowered a bit & it still has a few flowers on it. 

I thought that it should be pruned in spring as it flowers late in the year; Mr Google has many opinions on the matter, so I thought I'd ask some much more knowledgeable people

Cheers,

Jean.

22/10/2012 at 06:38

Prune escallonia hedges in the autumn immediately after flowering - September would be about right, even if it's still got a few flowrs on - doing it now wouldn't be too late

If you're happy with an informal hedge you can just trim it lightly with secateurs to take out straggly bits etc, and this method will give you more flowers the following year.   If you prefer a more formal hedge you can cut it back quite severely with hedge trimmer or shears but you will get fewer flowers.

22/10/2012 at 23:35

Thanks very much Dovefromabove.

I have tended to be a bit wary of chopping down anything just before the bad weather starts.  

I had some lovely fat buds on several fuchsias until we got -5 a few nights ago; now there are just fat brown buds .

As we'd prefer flowers, I'll wield the secatuers asap.

Jean.

23/10/2012 at 15:06

I must admit to thinking that the spring was the best time for Escallonia pruning, but last Autumn my tree surgeon took an electric cutter to mine- I actually hant wanted those doing, just the huge E.Iveyi next to them.

Anyway this year they have all really thickened out & flowered well too. So early autumn pruning for me from now on. Am in NWest, so not as far up as you Jeannie. J.

23/10/2012 at 19:37

Thanks Jo, that's reassuring.

I've severely pruned the one by the neighbour who'se not bothered & just trimmed & reduced a bit on the other side.

Jean.

24/11/2013 at 09:34
24/11/2013 at 13:58

Most hedging shrubs can be pruned after they have flowered. This gives them enough time to build theirselves up for the following years flowering. So for Escallonia late Summer into Autumn and something like Ribes would be late Spring to early Summer.

Good luck

24/11/2013 at 16:19

Down here escallonias are hardly ever out of flower.  I prune during the summer to encourage bushyness.  In colder areas I would prune in early spring.  I grow a nice white.....Iveyii.....and this is pruned in September.

18/04/2014 at 17:13

will I do the escallonia harm if I prune it now (mid-April). It is getting a bit straggly and too high.

Lyn
18/04/2014 at 18:24

You probably wont get any flowers on if you do it now, better to wait till its flowered unless you dont mind.

18/04/2014 at 19:59

Many of us prune escallonia now......to keep compact and it usualy flowers again in summer.  However, ideally prune after flowering but by then a straggly bush is even more straggly, isn't it?

24/07/2014 at 02:02

Will red escallonia come back if it is pruned back to just wood without green leaves--ours are over 30 yrs old and way overdue for a major cut back if possible???

24/07/2014 at 02:03

Will escallonia come back if pruned down to just bare branches??  Our Red Escallonia plants are about 30 yrs old and haven't been pruned in years.

24/07/2014 at 06:58

I think I'd strike some cuttings now, just in case it doesn't like it. That's an old shrub. Now is a good time for escallonia cuttings.

19/08/2014 at 09:34

I have an Escallonia hedge which I have given a really good clean out beneath and round the roots.  It is looking very sad and sorry for itself after such a hot Summer.  What should I do to help it along and hopefully re-vitalize it next year?

Apart from compost is there a suitable food on the market for hedges?  Many thanks

14/09/2014 at 19:42

i have pruned my escalonia and wondered if it ok to shift into another part of my garden now or early spring....

17/09/2014 at 23:05

I think my front hedging is escallonia - it has very small pink flowers and pink berries - but am holding back from pruning it now because it's absolutely covered in bees.

email image
17 messages