London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 54 messages
12/01/2014 at 19:55

Is it because it has been very mild in London up to a few days ago?

Do they need a hard frost to come out?

I planted many and would be gutted if nothing came if it 

12/01/2014 at 20:08

The ones I had from last year are in a small terracotta pot by my back door. This is in full shade all year round. I have noticed the are about a centimetre out of the compost now. However if they were in a garden or grass area I think i would hardly be able to see them. Maybe/hopefully yours are just not through as yet. Keep your green fingers crossed. 

12/01/2014 at 20:16

Some of mine haven't appeared yet Jess.

Did you plant them in the green or dry in autumn? 

12/01/2014 at 20:18

I'm in far south west so snowdrops now are prob the norm.  

However, I get late ones too so there is plenty of time for yours to,appear yet.  Sure they will 

12/01/2014 at 20:47

Thanks everyone- planted mine from dry bulbs in autumn but not so much as one so far - garden totally in shade from November to February (west facing but with some tall buildings shading it from low winter sun). Only one small pot at front of house which faces east and has had winter sun, has a few shooting snowdrops in it.

Here's hoping 

12/01/2014 at 20:52

I'll keep my fingers crossed for them. They don't like being dried out to sell in bags in autumn.

If they don't make it buy some in February, leaves still on. google 'snowdrops in the green'

If any make it, even if they don't flower, they'll soon clump up

12/01/2014 at 20:56

Funny you should say that Jess as you are not the only one as I haven't noticed any coming up in my garden either. I have had them for years and years so hope they haven't rotted with all the rain.  Perhaps they need some snow on them! 

12/01/2014 at 21:00

I don't know what triggers the growth of snowdrops. They're no further forward in all the warmth of this year than they were in the cold of the last 2.

13/01/2014 at 09:05

Their growth is triggered by autumn rains. They have evolved to begin growing when the leaves on deciduous trees have fallen and to complete their growth when those same trees are once again covered in leaves.

Sorry, but the dried bulbs sold in all sorts of outlets are generally dead. Either buy them freshly dug at any time of the year or as growing plants.

The reason for them dying when dried is because they do not have a water retaining skin in the same way as Narcissus and Tulips do, so they dehydrate very easily.

13/01/2014 at 09:11

Thanks Berghill.  It was quite dry here til very late in the year. Much reduced growth of fungi as well. No ink caps at all or those mauve/blue ones

13/01/2014 at 09:42

I have snowdrops out in my sheltered south facing bed since the week before Christmas but none yet in the north facing garden despite all the rain we've had and the warm temps recently.   All of them have been established for years and come from a clump I found in the former potager when we moved here..

As said, dry autumn plantings rarely succeed but it helps to buy them the minute they go on display, soak them overnight in a bowl of cold water and then plant the following day.  I do this with firtillaria meleagris which have a smilar drying problem and it works most of the time.

13/01/2014 at 10:48

Thanks Berghill and everyone who has replied - I was worried the rain had gotten to them too as everything here is soaking 

That said, the few I put in pots south-facing are emerging...and they were from the same lot as the shady garden side - so maybe they weren't/aren't all dead! Though I take your point Berghill, that many will be and if I get no show, I'll try buying them in the green this year (thanks nut). Spent a bloody fortune on the dried ones too

Good luck Forester - keeping my fingers crossed for yours too!

13/01/2014 at 12:26

Good news Jess - I have spotted a clump of snowdrops just emerging so maybe you will get some popping up soon.

13/01/2014 at 12:53

If you bought them as soon as they appeared in the outlets then they may well survive. Other thing to do when  soaking them as Obelixx says is to add  some fungicide to the water.

The ones I have in flower are G. elwesii Barnes Form which is a very early type.

Wish I could afford the special ones which are around, especially the autumn flowering ones like G. lagodechianus.

13/01/2014 at 13:26

I never even knew how many varieties there were Berghill - amazing.

Thanks for all the tips.

Now to find a snowdrop walk/garden to visit which isn't a million miles from us and where I can drool over the real McCoy!

13/01/2014 at 13:27

Off to check mine for the upteenth time this week Forester 

13/01/2014 at 16:06

I see you are in Camden so some of these places may be near to you

http://www.gardensillustrated.com/article/visits/flurry-snowdrops

13/01/2014 at 19:02

I do agree......the best way to buy snowdrops is "in the green" from reputable supplier.

I've bought them from garden centres and you are lucky if you get anything from them.  The same problem with Anemone de Caen - I've never had much luck with them buying packs of corms.

I have one Snowdrop flowering now............looks a bit sad but I chat to it every morning 

Can anyone suggest a really good bulb supplier ?

13/01/2014 at 19:12

If you scratch the soil surface snowdrops' foliage may be seen.....DON'T DO THIS THOUGH.  Some of mine are through and flowering and others just trying to peep through.  They will come in their own time.

Philippa, the garden centres will have them now or soon in flower or about to flower.  Perfect for planting out now.  Best, economically, is to buy them "in the green" in 50's or 100's from online suppliers just after flowering.  

13/01/2014 at 20:06
Philippa.

Thanks Berghill, will have a look at those.

Got a gift from my mum today -a pot of snowdrops in the green no less! Now have impossible task of deciding where to plant them!
1 to 20 of 54 messages