Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where are my snowdrops?

Is it because it has been very mild in London up to a few days ago?

Do they need a hard frost to come out?

I planted many and would be gutted if nothing came if it image

• The ones I had from last year are in a small terracotta pot by my back door. This is in full shade all year round. I have noticed the are about a centimetre out of the compost now. However if they were in a garden or grass area I think i would hardly be able to see them. Maybe/hopefully yours are just not through as yet. Keep your green fingers crossed. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Some of mine haven't appeared yet Jess.

Did you plant them in the green or dry in autumn? 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks everyone- planted mine from dry bulbs in autumn but not so much as one so far - garden totally in shade from November to February (west facing but with some tall buildings shading it from low winter sun). Only one small pot at front of house which faces east and has had winter sun, has a few shooting snowdrops in it.

Here's hoping image

I'll keep my fingers crossed for them. They don't like being dried out to sell in bags in autumn.

If they don't make it buy some in February, leaves still on. google 'snowdrops in the green'

If any make it, even if they don't flower, they'll soon clump up

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Funny you should say that Jess as you are not the only one as I haven't noticed any coming up in my garden either. I have had them for years and years so hope they haven't rotted with all the rain.  Perhaps they need some snow on them! 

I don't know what triggers the growth of snowdrops. They're no further forward in all the warmth of this year than they were in the cold of the last 2.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Their growth is triggered by autumn rains. They have evolved to begin growing when the leaves on deciduous trees have fallen and to complete their growth when those same trees are once again covered in leaves.

Sorry, but the dried bulbs sold in all sorts of outlets are generally dead. Either buy them freshly dug at any time of the year or as growing plants.

The reason for them dying when dried is because they do not have a water retaining skin in the same way as Narcissus and Tulips do, so they dehydrate very easily.

Thanks Berghill.  It was quite dry here til very late in the year. Much reduced growth of fungi as well. No ink caps at all or those mauve/blue ones

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I have snowdrops out in my sheltered south facing bed since the week before Christmas but none yet in the north facing garden despite all the rain we've had and the warm temps recently.   All of them have been established for years and come from a clump I found in the former potager when we moved here..

As said, dry autumn plantings rarely succeed but it helps to buy them the minute they go on display, soak them overnight in a bowl of cold water and then plant the following day.  I do this with firtillaria meleagris which have a smilar drying problem and it works most of the time.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato