London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
12 messages
04/04/2013 at 00:07

So i have my greenhouse..now i need to populate it so to speak..aka a bench...ive been looking around the place..they are not cheap are they!!

Love the look of a nice wooden one ( yes, realise..maynot be entirely practical what with water around )..but can anyone advise me on where ican purchase - cheap as possible of course! - a decent two tier aluminum / wooden - 8ft - 10ft bench?

Where do you shop basically?

And..Heated matts...again looking around..keen to get a couple of them..if the price is right.

Thoughts as always more than welcome. Thank you.

04/04/2013 at 00:15

Cheap & cheerful, get a decorating pasting table.  Won't last too long (unless you invest in a plastic tablecloth to cover it with).  Failing that, somewhere like Makro for shed/garage shelving.

04/04/2013 at 00:19

I just make my own - costs nowt.

04/04/2013 at 15:37

OH made mine out of packing crates and leftovers...that was 25 years or so ago. They're not particularly pretty but very practical. They're just starting to need replacing now...OH is looking for some more packing crates...

I did see a rough and ready potting on table at a GC near me for £37...ouch. What about using the 'insides' of those PVC GH sold in places like Wilkinsons? Not everso rhobust but handy until you can get hold of some others.

Lyn
04/04/2013 at 18:08
Mine are made out of any old bits recycled dexion mainly, i bought grow bag trays to keep the wet off.
04/04/2013 at 21:01
Love growbag trays!!!! Look in pound stretcher they are only 3.99. Bargain!!!! They also have some bargain tubular staging! May or may not be what you want but the growbag trays are a must!
04/04/2013 at 21:06

make your own

use decking boards for the only £3.00 each then some 2 by 2 posts for the legs

should only cost about £30.00 for a 4 foot wide bench by 12 foot long.

04/04/2013 at 21:12

Im tempted..really I am...but..the way I am with sawing wood etc etc..it really will cost me more money in the long run. I mean..for a start..the wood...it will rot...so having to buy a proper type of wood?...paint it...

..nar...as keen as I am to keep costs down...and i dont like the look of these aluminum type benches i must say...and their price!!..but i fear I will have to plum for one of them.

I note..on several threads ive asked for advice..other websites to go too..to buy things etc..and no-one seems keen to give me their websites..where they buy ..say..decent benches, greenhouses...flowers...seeds...is there a reluctance to voice ..because this being kinda affilliated with the Beeb? surely too goodness not..tis is a forum is it not!!..an endless voice of opinion and more importantly..advice/tips/whats the best online site etc etc

I am after growing, in my new greenhouse, yet to be erected..6ft x 10ft..a kiwi tree, lemon tree..and other ideas thats perhaps novel and will actually grow?

Any sites for benches please dont be shy.

thanks

04/04/2013 at 21:17
To be honest the best place to start looking for me is ebay, you can see all sorts of styles then you can research from there. Search for greenhouse staging! I have been looking before and I don't even have a greenhouse!! You may be able to pick up a decent second hand deal!!
04/04/2013 at 21:21

http://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Garden+Equipment/Greenhouses+and+Equipment/Greenhouse+Accessories/list.htm

I often purchase seed and plants from this site and I've always been very happy with their service. However, I have no need to purchase their equipment.

Do checkout there range of staging - there is a few to choose from.

04/04/2013 at 21:35

I don't think it has anything to do with the BBC. A lot of people on this forum don't have a greenhouse or can't afford the sort of equipment shown on websites. But I have had a lot of useful tips from forum members. You are just as capable of looking on websites as any of us.

I bought my wooden bench in a French supermarket in the spring promotions. It looks a bit like this and was a bit cheaper. I live in France so that bit of information probably won't be of much use to you.http://www.gardensite.co.uk/Forest_Timber_Potting_Bench_with_Shelf.htm

The rest of my shelving I bought in a very cheap flatpack furniture shop and I treated it with wood preserver.

When I have a lot of baby plants in the spring I put planks on trestles in the other half of the GH which I then remove and plant tomatoes mid May in the GH earth.

04/04/2013 at 21:49

Here's a idea, not trying to be funny or cheeky - cool. checkout the link below and consider this.....it's 159cm, so each section is approx 50cms. Work out your best working height position and remove the little bit you don't need. Perserve sections and use these as legs, if u like. Order, some planks from a timber merchant which are the length of your greenhouse and lay these on top, secure with nails......and bob's you uncle, one side of your greenhouse with staging sorted. And for almost nothing. How's that for an idea !!

Repeat for other side. 

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00111994/

And if you want a shelf effect. Order more lengths of timber and do underneath.

Hope it all made sense. lol

email image
12 messages