London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
8 messages
13/11/2012 at 13:41

hello,

I have just bought a house and it has come with a pretty mature garden. never gardened before and I am not sure where to begin. I don't want to start pulling things up because i can't tell if something is a flower or a wee. Any ideas on where to start?

13/11/2012 at 13:48

Easy-don't too to much at present -you don't know what is lurking under the surface to spring into life in a few months-just keep it tidy until you see what you have got and what you wish to keep

Now borrow or buy a decent gardening book for beginners-there are plenty to choose from-and do a bit of reading

Then come back on here and ask as many questions that you like -someone usually has the answer.

13/11/2012 at 13:57

sounds like good advice. One question you may be able to help me with I have a big green composter, can i just put any organice stuff in there or are there things I should avoid composting?

13/11/2012 at 14:06

Anything that will rot down- avoid obviously diseased material and weeds with a big tap root-dandelions for example and big twigs etc-but yes basically anything green.

A good mix is essential-avoid grass clippings on their own -they just get matted and go slimy-mix with other materials

13/11/2012 at 14:17

Thanks, Just bought "RHS Gardening Through The Year: Your Month-By-Month Guide to what to do when in the Garden"

Cheers

lee

13/11/2012 at 15:02

Lee have a look in your local charity shops they are usually full with a wide range of gardening books all  for next to nothing

Kate Alans missis!! hes up the allotment  tying down the shed,,  very windy in south Wales believe  u me Kate.

13/11/2012 at 15:10

My Missus is allover the charity shops so i'll put this on her list

Good luck with the shed, I have one of those too though empty at the moment, expecting  santa to be filling it up!

Though being in sussex i don't think i'll need to tie mine down.

13/11/2012 at 15:25

last year 3 or 4 actualy lost there roofs and a couple then collasped they told me when we took on the allotment,hence the shortened scaffold poles hammered in with mooring rope over to the other side and tied down to the water butts,hope it works

Kate 

email image
8 messages