Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Which grass seed to use???

Evening all, after a bit of advice from those with the knowledge. I have (Finally) turned the garden & levelled it removing all weeds and lots of stones. Im happy(ish) with where it is now but was wondering the best Grass seed to use. This photo was taken around 4pm today to give you an idea of shade etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

What's the grass for pumphead? A perfect lawn, football pitch or somewhere in between. Usually says on the packet whether it's fine, hard wearing, shade etc.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • blackestblackest Posts: 623

Essentially there are 3 grades as it is a bit of a blend.  i think it runs 1 bowling green 2 normal lawn /pitch 3 paddock. The normal onee for house hold would be 2 but if its not getting walked on you could go finer, you wouldnt want the other 

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

A quick question if I may.

You say you've turned and levelled. Have you compacted the ground i.e stamped it down hard under foot ? Very important this because if not, you will have lumps, bumps, hills, mountains etc. I've made the mistake of not doing this - it made cutting the grass difficult !

If you have, nice one.

I went for hardwearing; cheap. Lots of different grasses, does the job - not so attractive though.

• clogherheadclogherhead Posts: 506

The picture tells me you have children, so I suggest you get seed for a hard wearing grass with some shade tolerance and follow the instructionsimage

Derek

• PumpheadPumphead Posts: 14
    Nutcutlet just after something that will stand up to the kids playing on it.

Blackest many thanks.

Marshmello I have compacted it althougj not perfect it is certainly better than it was and good enough.

Clogerhead I do indeed have kids and thabks for the advice.

Many thanks all
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Just get the cheap(ish) and cheerful hardwearing mix with ryegrass. Good time of year to be sowing

In the sticks near Peterborough