London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
7 messages
23/04/2013 at 12:21

Can I risk putting any of these seedlings out now, sunflowers, cerinthe major, cosmos, snapdragons, nasturtiunsand sweet peas? What do you think?

23/04/2013 at 12:37

It depends on the area of the country you live in, April is a time for unexpected sharp frosts at night, although looking out the window today it looks warm and sunny, I would keep them under cover for a bit yet and then start gradually hardening them off. Best to take it slow and have healthy plants than rush at putting them out and risk them being checked and put back a few weeks.

23/04/2013 at 13:06

Harden them off first then sweet peas cerinthe and snapdragons will be fine. Not sure if the others could take a late frost.

23/04/2013 at 14:01
lucky* wrote (see)

Can I risk putting any of these seedlings out now, sunflowers, cerinthe major, cosmos, snapdragons, nasturtiunsand sweet peas? What do you think?

Never be in a hurry to plant out-little is gained-and you could incur losses-the term seedlings worries me -seedlings not plants??

How big?-and as has been said they need hardening off.

23/04/2013 at 21:19

If your plants are reasonably grown,,,,not still spindly little seedlings and as long as the weather isn't really cold. .As has already been suggested I would recommend  hardening off your plants for a couple of weeks. Initially put the trays or pots out during the day in a sheltered, not too sunny spot and take them in at night. It's still not uncommon for us to have a sharp frost even in early June and young, tender plants are very vulnerable.

I live in the East Midlands and I just go by the weather....once we've settled into steady warmish days then I plant out, usually in late May, early June...but I'm still ready with a sheet of fleece if there is a chance of frost. Last year was a disaster because not only did we have an incredibly warm early spring but then a long, cold wet late spring/early summer and I lost a lot of my young plants,,,,they didn't have time to become established before the onslaught of rain, hail and wind. 

23/04/2013 at 21:25
And the weather man says there will be frosts this weekend, so certainly don't pop them out right now.
I'm aiming for the end of may with my selection of goodies, but ill keep an eye on the weather too.
24/04/2013 at 12:14

I totally agree with all above.  It is never worth rushing.  I am really late planting seeds this year, but they usually catch up.  Nothing more distressing than spending time on growing plants, only to put them out too soon to find a pile of black plants in the morning after an unexpected frost.  Keep bringing them out during the day and tucking them back into a sheltered place during the night until all chance of frost (or strong cold winds) have passed (if they ever do!!!)  If you find they are outgrowing their pots it is often worth potting them on if the weather doesn't look any better for a while.  Good luck!

email image
7 messages