Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Why didn't I think of it before?

We were sorting out the "garage" for which read suppository of all useful bits of wood, screws and sundry items that will "come in handy".  (Ladies of a certain age will doubtless identify with that),

So we found an expandable shower curtain rail - the sort that you sort of pull and twist and wedge between two walls, the better to hang a shower curtain, usually over the edge of the bath.

We have no need of such an item.  But, before it could be consigned to the tip/charity shop I had a light bulb moment.

Under the ridge of my greenhouse, from one end to the other, I positioned said pole.  I did not, you will be pleased to note, hang a shower curtain, the details of its use in such a place being too much to contemplate image

However, I have used it to drape over it and down both ridges of the GH some fleece.  This diffuses the light, and, when we have a shady day, I can simply unclip it from the occasional clips used to hold it in place down the roof angles, and gather it to one side to let in the light.

I anticipate using this method for bubble wrap in the winter.  I'm rather pleased with this system, and thus far it seems to be working a treat.  (I shall report any pitfalls!)

Last edited: 08 June 2016 20:39:15

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Well I used this system in my greenhouse and posted on this forum too.. So sorry you are not unique image

We know its cheap and it works.. my other gardening buddy has now copied my idea..  It omly cost a quid for the fleece from a Poundshop..

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I was certain it wasn't a unique idea - but it seems so obvious once you've done it!  Cheap and effective:  ticks all my boxes image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

What a totally brilliant idea. I shall unashamedly nick the idea unless its got a Patent Pending on it. Rats! I've just upgraded my bathroom and got rid of one shower pole. Got to write a 'to do' list now..

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • If anyone wants to use a smaller, lighter pole for doing this - then I'm assuming a longer net curtain/voile tension rod would also so the trick. They are cheap as chips, too. 

• I cannibalised old roller blinds, screwed in position along each side of the ridge. I found some thin mesh material, white, stuck to the roller with double sided tape. Sewed a hem to take the rod at bottom of blind which hooks behind wood brackets at bottom of roof. Same material across the door and just use fleece around the sides held by clothes pegs to hooks in the frame. Aren't we all ingenious. I tried white shade paint once only....

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

........ me too Nutcracker .... took forever to wash it off.image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525

Here another lil bonus, I drape my fleece double so when it heats up and the fleece gets a bit wet sneaky snails try creeping up there but they are inside the double fleece layer hehe so no free snacking on my veg..

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Genius BLT -another good tip.  I am going to use the same idea for winter bubble wrap though I think the large bubble may be awkward.  I too used paint on shading - once!

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

good ideas  abound    my idea is the roll of white membrane that goes under carpet tis about a metre wide I have 3 pieces on canes and when it is to hot I put them up along the top side of g/house  I did use to paint it a of white ish shade image

• homebirdhomebird Posts: 110

So glad to read your experience with paint on shading. I was just planning on buying some. I'm going for the shower curtain rail idea. ?