Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

My dogwood leaves have started going brown, but they're not dry and crispy as I'd expect from under watering and the plant hasn't gone droopy. A similar problem is appearing on the hydrangea in the front garden.

any ideas?

Obelixx

Probably frost damage.  They will recover.   If it's been dry lately, make sure you water them, especially the hydrangea.

Hostafan1

"chemicals in the rain"???? 

Dovefromabove

Frost damage ... we've had so many reports and evidence of this in the past week since the temperatures plummeted due to a very chilly wind from the north east.

Your plants are hardy and will recover. 

Hostafan1

You're absolutely right Sal.

I don't believe it. 

Do please feel free to provide conclusive , fact based , independently verified evidence though . I'd love to read up about it.

Advertisement

Hostafan1

Now,  where did I leave my tin foil hat?

punkdoc

Eye of frog and toe of newt.

Dovefromabove

The leaves of hydrangeas and dogwoods have been turning those colours when exposed to cold weather, both in spring and autumn, for more than 60 years to my certain knowledge, and I was taught that by my grandmother who was born before the turn of the last century. 

That leaf discolouration is not caused by chemicals or solar geo-engineering. 

Last edited: 12 May 2017 18:20:23

When I had a greenhouse and had tomato plants , the leaves used to go that colour if it was cold and I forgot to shut the greenhouse door . They did not get any rain , polluted or not , on the leaves

I expected frost damage to be more severe and thought that younger leaves would be more badly affected. It's also inconsistent damage across the same plant that made me think it was something else. thankfully, it's not something more serious! 

Dovefromabove

Drought can also produce discolouration and most areas have had little if no rainfall for a good while,  so make sure they're not thirsty, but they don't look it to me 

Fairygirl

Lots of my plants look like that every year! They recover. I've had to water lots of shrubs and plants  here - unheard of at this time of year   

Hydrangeas, in particular, are tough as old boots. New foliage will grow too, and before you know it, they'll be looking grand. 

Nowt to worry about Nick. A good drenching and a few warmer days will see them right