London (change)
Today 18°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
7 messages
19/07/2013 at 21:29

hello, i have a purple cotinus that has put on new growth but it looks green instead of purple. it's really strange but the new growth is at the bottom of the plant. 

i don't know why this has happened as it's never done this before, can anyone tell me what the problem could be ??????

thanks

19/07/2013 at 21:38

It'll turn purple as it ages shazza 

19/07/2013 at 21:54

The other possibility is it has been grafted and the green growth at the bottom is from below the graft.  Have a look at the base of the stem and see if you can see a graft union.  If so and the green growth is from below this, I'd advise pruning it off.

19/07/2013 at 22:04

hiya, thanks for the replies.

Fairygirl, it's funny but i never noticed it before, i think it's because the weather's been so lovely and have been pottering around for the last two weeks and today i actually sat in the garden as it was so hot, noticed it then.

Bob, thanks but can't see a graft, plant is well over five years old and well established, hopefully it will turn purple.  

20/07/2013 at 00:17

Have you got this in the shade?  It's essentially a sun lover.  

I grow 2 cotinus bushes and neither ever produces green leaves....they start off purple and remain purple.  Cuttings too have always been purple without a hint of green.  There is a variety called Grace which is less purple .....not to my taste

20/07/2013 at 05:35

I would tend to agree with Bob. Anything grown on a rootstock can get anomolies sprouting from below.

I have on occasions had what I believe are called "sports" coming out of variagated plants. These are reversions to the species from the variety and should be pruned out or they tend to take over the plant.

I did see a lovely cotinus at the garden centre the other day called lady something which I've never seen before and is a lovely olive green colour.

20/07/2013 at 08:29

Never grown cotinus royal purple as a grafted plant........?

email image
7 messages