London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
10 messages
08/05/2013 at 21:46

The 3 trees here, 2 on the outside with blossom and one in the middle, leafy, are all wild cherries. Something strange happened to the middle one very early in it's life. It doesn't have much blossom/fruit, thoughwhat it has are very nice. The leaves and stems have a twisted, distorted appearance and the leaves are bronzed. It's been like it for years, if it's a disease it's never passed on to any other tree. Any ideas?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23240.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23241.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23242.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

04/04/2014 at 11:42

I posted this last year, no suggestions then. Any ideas anyone

04/04/2014 at 11:44

Was it perfectly normal when it was first planted?

04/04/2014 at 11:52

As far as I can remember yes, we're talking 20 years or so and maybe 10 of them looking odd, though could be more

Just having my coffee break looking at them, it reminded me.

We were going to remove the funny one this year but other tree surgery took precedence so it's still there.

04/04/2014 at 11:55

04/04/2014 at 16:52

Any ideas?

06/04/2014 at 14:18

Hi nut, sorry can't think of anything that really fits the bill, there's a few viruses that cause twisted leaves but I'm not sure about the contorted branches. Cherry Leaf roll virus is possibly the culprit but it's hard to tell really. Cherry Leaf Roll Virus is spread by pollen so it could have got it from anywhere and the other's may simply be  resistant to it. I would just bite the bullet and remove it. Such a shame but on a tree that size there's not a lot you can do. It's always sad to lose a large tree. Sorry I'm not a cherry expert. 

06/04/2014 at 14:36

maybe  it might need a prune or it is sterile as in it wont produce blossom or too close together so it cant get enough substance or water, other wise perhaps it feels a gooseberry.

06/04/2014 at 19:27

Thanks  Jim. I've always thought virus but couldn't match it with anything. I think it's got to go, it's not really nice to look at any more, although may be because I know it's sick I wanted it out years ago but OH thought it might get cured 

Thanks flowering rose, It's not sterile, or it wasn't, it's more or less stopped flowering now. There probably is competition for moisture etc now.

The trees were all bought together as Prunus cerasus. They're all different though. The one on the right has large cherries, black and sweet if the pigeons let them develop. The sick one was OK in fruit but not as good. The one on the left, not so sweet but still large. They are close together. 20years ago I didn't know how big a wild cherry grew. We can afford to lose one

It may remain a mystery.

No more tree surgery til next winter now though. I've had more than enough of shredding.

08/04/2014 at 18:17

Oh, don't talk to me about shredding. What a task! I had a mountain to get through and it took three of us days to get through it, taking turns to feed the shredder. Great for the garden though. And since you've got a hardwood so you could use logs to grow shitake mushrooms on. Cherry wood is prized for furniture making too. You might be able to get someone to do it for you for free. I was just reading the wiki page on Sour Cherry, it's supposed to be very good for aiding regular sleep. It isn't native to Britain though only: Prunus avium, P. padus & P. spinosa are, stickily speaking. 

email image
10 messages